General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

could it be my rear main seal ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it be my rear main seal ?

ok i know that the car leaks but not sure were it comes from so jacked up my car to remove the trans and replace the clutch today and there is oil every where under there . I took the trans out and its just a mess every where !! I bought a rear main seal when i bought everything to replace while i have the trans and **** out could this oil be from the rear main seal or could it be from something else ?? ill try and post pics
Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

pics ....
Attached Thumbnails could it be my rear main seal ?-photo_3.jpg   could it be my rear main seal ?-photo_1.jpg   could it be my rear main seal ?-photo_4.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

see how much **** is built up in there , the hole underneath of the car is coated also the bell housing and everything around it , could it be the rear main seal which I'm going to replace , i haven't gotten to it yet so cant tell you what it looks like yet , I'm having trouble with the three top bolts on the bell housing
Old 02-25-2014, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

no one ?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need pics of rear of engine. My car had a leak at the top of the rear cover that holds the crank seal. It was right at the top in the center where the little pocket is cast into the block.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Launching!

I would also replace the input shaft seal on the transmission while you are there.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do all these cars leak from rear seal? Mine does, and just about everyone else I know that owns one.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RJDio
do all these cars leak from rear seal? Mine does, and just about everyone else I know that owns one.
Not to jinx myself..... but I can say that mine doesn't. Mine leaks at a spot above the oil filter. But that's just a dime size spot or less over night
Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

im having a hard time uploading pics for some weird reason , but i got everything off and seems like someone put a sealant along the pan and block where they meet so not sure if thats where its coming from or not i cleaned everything up good so maybe ill be able to see signs of oil idk the motor wont be running so not sure if it will leak
Old 02-27-2014, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wavebyby
im having a hard time uploading pics for some weird reason , but i got everything off and seems like someone put a sealant along the pan and block where they meet so not sure if thats where its coming from or not i cleaned everything up good so maybe ill be able to see signs of oil idk the motor wont be running so not sure if it will leak
That suggests to me that the rear seal or rear cover has been removed or replaced for some reason. The sealant along the top of pan gasket and in corners is to help re seal it when a gasket is reused. Id look at the top of the rear cover for oil. Thats where mine was leaking.

Quick Reply: could it be my rear main seal ?