General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Charging System Problems..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Problems..

I have a 2000 SS Camaro @ 95k miles, and my OEM Alternator finally gave out.

After replacing it with a Autozone Durlast remanufactured Alternator that gave out within a week I decided to go with an Advanced Auto Partsnew ToughOne Alternator. When I started up the car the voltage was 13.8volts steady at idle, so I decided to take it on a cruise around the block and soon as I start driving the voltage starts to slowly drop to 10.5-11volts. Eventually my Check Gauge light comes on confirming the alternator is no longer charging.

The car has a brand new 750cca battery, the alternator charging wire and connector appear to be in good shape (No signs of damaged wire, corrosion, etc).

Now I'm in a tough position because I purchased 2 alternators from 2 different autopart stores and they only offer Limited Lifetime Warranty; meaning if the alternator was installed they can only exchange it with another no refunds. Each alternator was $150 + tax.

What makes matters even worse is they don't even stock these alternators and they take 1-2 days to order.

With all that being said, this car is currently my daily driver and I need to fix this problem asap..

And from searching the forums this thread seems to be my only solution:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-failures.html

Hopefully no one else goes through this hassle with POS aftermarket alternators!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately these results seem all too common with the auto parts store alternators.

I've encountered a similar issue, read the same thread you have linked above and now I have an OEM 2004 Tahoe alternator I picked up from a salvage shop for $35 sitting in the bedroom just waiting to be installed. Consensus on here seems to be that going this route will solve your problem.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

After many years of poor experiences with chain auto parts store rebuilds, I will now only buy OEM/GM remans or brand new units from Powermaster. Neither of these sources has ever let me down, and I have never needed to do the truck alternator conversion (or any of the other so-called "must do" electrical/charging system mods) to get any of my 4th gens to charge properly. Just my experience.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Unfortunately these results seem all too common with the auto parts store alternators.

I've encountered a similar issue, read the same thread you have linked above and now I have an OEM 2004 Tahoe alternator I picked up from a salvage shop for $35 sitting in the bedroom just waiting to be installed. Consensus on here seems to be that going this route will solve your problem.
So from my understanding, the truck alternators don't use that small bolt behind the alternator? Does that bracket need to be deleted for proper fitment? or just not used. Please let me know thanks.

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
After many years of poor experiences with chain auto parts store rebuilds, I will now only buy OEM/GM remans or brand new units from Powermaster. Neither of these sources has ever let me down, and I have never needed to do the truck alternator conversion (or any of the other so-called "must do" electrical/charging system mods) to get any of my 4th gens to charge properly. Just my experience.
I may have to take your advice and grab one of those powermaster alternators. But for now I need the car back on the road so I'm forced to do the truck alternator upgrade so the car is driveable.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've bought the Advance new alts and never had any trouble. It very possible the exciter wire has corrosion or damage someplace or the PCM is damaged.

You could grab another new Advance alt but trust me they don't sell junk like Autozone.

They have a tester at Advance that can easily test your new alt.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Think about your logic here on the truck alt.... If the car is stock and came from the factory with a stock alternator and lasted all this time, is the style of the alternator really the source of your problem? A truck alternator is not needed for a stock car and doesn't do anything for but burn more gas. (a little)

I'd do some more research before investing in a higher quality unit. You could end up with the same issue. You could have a corroded cable somewhere or a bad exciter wire (even though the connector looks fine) or a slipping belt.

I suggest taking the alternator out and back to the parts store to be tested. If its really bad, then that will show up. If not, then you probably have something else going on in the engine compartment.

Your post is like many others we have here where the exciter wire is damaged on removing the original bad unit. If the exciter is not able to communicate with the alternator, it won't deliver the voltage you need.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Think about your logic here on the truck alt.... If the car is stock and came from the factory with a stock alternator and lasted all this time, is the style of the alternator really the source of your problem? A truck alternator is not needed for a stock car and doesn't do anything for but burn more gas. (a little)

I'd do some more research before investing in a higher quality unit. You could end up with the same issue. You could have a corroded cable somewhere or a bad exciter wire (even though the connector looks fine) or a slipping belt.

I suggest taking the alternator out and back to the parts store to be tested. If its really bad, then that will show up. If not, then you probably have something else going on in the engine compartment.

Your post is like many others we have here where the exciter wire is damaged on removing the original bad unit. If the exciter is not able to communicate with the alternator, it won't deliver the voltage you need.
I can't stress enough how much I agree with everything in this post.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Do you see anything wrong with going to a slightly more powerful Powermaster alternator, since I have a larger AGM battery which needs a BIG amount of current to charge properly, especially with all of the accessories running at night, in the city??
Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you so much for responding, I'm going to pull out the 2 alternators and have them tested at a local auto parts. If they are good, then I will diagnose the possible exciter wire issue, if not it leads me back to 2 bad alternators!

I appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try a powermaster like I did. 150a did great on my car.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Just an update, I took both of the alternators to 3 different auto part stores (autozone,pepboys & advance). Both failed the Regulator Test & Diode Trio Test. So I exchange one for another remanufactured duralast alternator.

Installed it and I'm reading 14.2volts unloaded @ idle 13.1v fully loaded @ idle..
Took it for a 3mile cruise with a few WOT pulls and it seems to be charging fine. Hopefully this one will last alot longer and I can have a Powermaster 150A alternator waiting to be installed!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by RBD_305
Just an update, I took both of the alternators to 3 different auto part stores (autozone,pepboys & advance). Both failed the Regulator Test & Diode Trio Test. So I exchange one for another remanufactured duralast alternator.
Wow. What are the odds of this? The parts aren't the highest quality, but having two from two different places go belly-up out of the box?

Do you have any other general issues with luck? Ever been struck by lightening?

I'm glad you got this straightened out!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Wow. What are the odds of this? The parts aren't the highest quality, but having two from two different places go belly-up out of the box?

Do you have any other general issues with luck? Ever been struck by lightening?

I'm glad you got this straightened out!
Hahaha , I know right. Thanks for all the advice though!

Quick Reply: Charging System Problems..