General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies, possible fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dies, possible fuel issue?

So i was driving down the highway and after about an hour the car cut out totally, it would turn on but wouldnt rev and would die after 20 seconds. I ended up finding a hose with a hole init by the left fuel rails that connects behind the throttle body which i replaced with some tubing andclamps. Car turned on and revved up but still died after 30 seconds. I then changed the fuel filter, no luck the old one was good. Fuel pump still turns on i can hear it. Has gas obviously. Unplugged MAF to see if it ran fine without it but still had the same issue. Now i cannot get the car to even start. Any ideas on what this problem could be or what to try next? Only mods on the car are an air lid and a cutout. 180,000 miles and has ran fine since i got it 4000 miles ago.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Fuel pumps CAN be bad, even if they are turning on with the key.

IF they are only putting out 20% or less volume/pressure (like mine was), the car will start and then die in less than 30 seconds, or not even start at all.

Get the pressure tested at the fuel rail schrader valve.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Fuel pumps CAN be bad, even if they are turning on with the key.

IF they are only putting out 20% or less volume/pressure (like mine was), the car will start and then die in less than 30 seconds, or not even start at all.

Get the pressure tested at the fuel rail schrader valve.
Can it really go from totally fine to bad all of a sudden while driving though? There were no signs of it going out
Old 03-19-2014, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

I was just driving along at a steady 50 mph, came over a crest, and as I was going down the hill it gave a slight hesitation/'flutter', the tach dropped down low, and then just died at the stop light at the bottom.

It cranked, and then caught, ran for about 5-10 seconds, but as soon as i gave it some throttle it died, and that is about all it did until it got to where it would not even catch and run AT ALL.

IF it is the original factory installed pump at 180K miles it owes you NOTHING!!
(Mine made it to ~160K miles and I am VERY content with that, as some others don't even last to 75K miles. )
Old 03-19-2014, 05:31 PM

Sounds exactly like my problem. Too bad it isnt something cheaper but ill try that
Old 03-20-2014, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28Kev
Sounds exactly like my problem. Too bad it isnt something cheaper but ill try that
Pssht a 99+ fuel pump assembly is less than $80, a 1998 fuel pump assembly is $285, and a gas cap for a 1998 is $38 available only from the dealer
Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 99z28Kev
Can it really go from totally fine to bad all of a sudden while driving though? There were no signs of it going out
Yes, i was driving one day turned onto a side road when my ashtray fell into the floor i stopped (just applying the brake) picked it up and placed it in the seat let off the brake to go as soon as i hit the gas it died. Had to buy a new fuel pump and ran like new.

Quick Reply: Car dies, possible fuel issue?