General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Which power steering pump to buy

Old 04-02-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which power steering pump to buy

I took my ps pump off my car and took it to auto zone to get another one. I was gonna get the one without the reservoir because it looked fine no leaks around it. The guy didn't really wanna sell me one with out the reservoir because he said it'd most likely leak if I tried to put mine on the new pump. He said it didn't come off and go on as easily as it looked and it'd end up leaking. I tried to explain I'd changed em out before and it didn't leak. But he insisted it'd most likely leak and I might have trouble returning it if it did end up leaking plus they only had pumps in stock with reservoirs none with out. He said it'd be a day before he got one in without a reservoir. So I fronted the extra 35 bucks and went ahead and got the one with a reservoir. Does this sound rite or did I get shafted?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd get one with the Magna-pure filtration or the Turn-One pump...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can I buy a pump and reuse my reservoir? This guy at auto zone acted like I couldn't with out it leaking even after I told him I'd switch em over before and it didn't leak from the reservoir. I think he just wanted to sell me the more expensive pump.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You can use your old reservoir. Only reason to get one with it installed is if your original one leaks or is cracked and/or faster installation.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Majestic9C1
You can use your old reservoir. Only reason to get one with it installed is if your original one leaks or is cracked and/or faster installation.
that's what I thought. So pretty much this Auto Zone guy just fed me a line of bs to get the extra money out of me. Might be time to start using a diff auto part store.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced mine (LT1, granted) with a reman. AC Delco from Rock Auto. About the best route you can go IMO.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlSS
that's what I thought. So pretty much this Auto Zone guy just fed me a line of bs to get the extra money out of me.
No, I would hold it against the guy as this is a grey area. The reservoir is not attached conventionally. It's held on with clips that should have a special tool use to remove them. You can do it with a screwdriver and a dose of patience, but I'd recommend getting one with the reservoir attached if you are going to do a reman.

You can feel good about paying extra money for the reservoir. The seal between the pump and tank is not common and I haven't been able to find any sold on the shelf. I can tell you from personal experience, that if you change the tank and screw up that seal... it's a total disaster - which will cost much more than $35 to clean up.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I just replaced mine (LT1, granted) with a reman. AC Delco from Rock Auto. About the best route you can go IMO.
Same exact thing here (An AC Delco pump from Rock Auto on an LT1), just last week. The puller I rented from Autozone made removing and installing the pulley a breeze.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car done remans are junk. Order an acdelco reman from amazon or rock auto. Look up the reviews for card one pumps on amazon the have 2 star ratings

The guy at autozone is probably right but sounds like he was a dick. I would have just sold you whatever you wanted and advised the seal on your old one was bad and reccomend the full unit.

Also when you return your pump at auto zone pick up two bottles of royal purple power steering fluid. I used a turkey baster to suck out my old fluid and put that stuff in and it was a night and day difference

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-03-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks I picked up the pump with the reservoir. Hopefully it'll hold up and not leak. I'll be sure to pick up some royal purple ps fluid. I know what a mess it can be to have a leak since the alternator is rite under the PS pump. I'm deleting the factory ps cooler/heater while I'm at it and gonna flush my radiator out. That'll save me from a headache down the road.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The car done remans are junk. Order an acdelco reman from amazon or rock auto. Look up the reviews for card one pumps on amazon the have 2 star ratings.
Pretty much ANYTHING Cardone is PURE **** (remanned or otherwise)!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which power steering pump to buy