General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Service engine soon light, transmission vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service engine soon light, transmission vibration

Ok,

So I live in florida and deal with light rain weekly(almost daily).

Anyways this morning it was raining pretty hard. I try to avoid driving when its really pouring out but my rainy day car isnt running.

So on a bridge with heavy rain I noticed a push and pull feel to my acceleration. The shifter moved left and right in the console pretty good, and I had a heavy vibration in the seat and what felt like the center of the car.

I was going about 50-60mph in 6th gear which is normal and I dont have this issue prior. It felt similar to being high in gear going slow(like needing to down shift)

So I did and in 5th it was much less vibration and movement of the shifter but still a jerky push pull acceleration instead of the normal smooth climb.

At this time I notice the service engine soon light is flashing and abruptly goes off. At the time it was flashing it was rainy its hardest and I was behind a truck that was basically spraying water on my car(picking water up from the ground and flinging it as it had no mudflaps and massive tires.

So anyways i pray I make it to the end of the 3 mile bridge and do. on the other side I get up to about 50mph(traffic is heavy in the morning) and in 6th it feels like im again very high in gear and clutching and gasing instead of shifting down. Very heavy vibrations in my seat and from the center of the car. In 5th things are better but still a push pull jerky accel. I did notice 1st to 4th is fine. And in 4th i start to notice the jerky feel over smooth accel.

mods are in sig, and really i deploy in like 2 months and really just need to keep it running till then. I have plans to do alot of work after I get back so ya. Any insight. I havent got to look under the car but was going to check the ujoints and torque arm first. As that in my mind would be the vibration issue in 6th. But the jerky accel I thought might be due to some other issue and the service engine soon worries me. I did just do an oil change and I only have 76k on the odo
Old 04-08-2014, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There hasn't been any noise or vibration prior?

Also, might want to take this to the manual tranny page since it sounds like an internal transmission issue.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
There hasn't been any noise or vibration prior?

Also, might want to take this to the manual tranny page since it sounds like an internal transmission issue.
in 6th on light accel id notice a slight whistle from time to time, but i kinda concluded it was from the gear swap in the rear.

maybe the glass pumpkin is finally taking a ****.... but if that is the case what about the light?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like you were misfiring, maybe because of the rain. See if you still have the same problem when it's dry.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blade2222
Sounds like you were misfiring, maybe because of the rain. See if you still have the same problem when it's dry.
that was my first thought(misfire) but when ever ive had a misfire its usually really bad, in all gears and noticeable at idle while always getting worse with accel.

im gonna see what is like when I start it up today after work as it hasnt rained for a couple hours. figure ill stop by autozone get them to hook it up and see if there are any codes.

the guy that tuned the car originally shut off all the lights on the dash as the high flow cats and supercharger it used to have kept poping engine check light.

So hopefully its not catastrophic issue im about to make worse by driving it. I figure the flashing service engine light is a real bad thing. but it stopped almost right after it started so ya.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

You were misfiring. Personally, my ECU had water in it (weather stripping on our cars SUCK). My whole dash was lit up with all the lights though.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28SSilvest
You were misfiring. Personally, my ECU had water in it (weather stripping on our cars SUCK). My whole dash was lit up with all the lights though.
ok, i have noticed that(weather stripping)

with that said this is my first fuel injected car.

will it dry and be fine? or is that a possibility? what should i expect?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

with the water, sounds like a misfire, have you tried scanning for codes to see if there are any stored? when one of my coil packs went out and caused a misfire accelerating caused all kinds of jerking and vibration and got the light flashing, if I let off the light stopped but if I pushed it to long it would come on solid.

Scanning for codes will at least help focus the search on the issue.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Launching!

You running longtubes? Either way, I've had all kinds of misfire issues due to water getting into my o2 wiring when it rains. I changed them a year ago and it happened a few weeks ago... Ended up electrical taping the whole o2 wire group and so far haven't had an issue. Just something to consider
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

When the check engine light blinks it means your misfiring. Probably just one cylinder. Try checking your wires and get the pcm scanned it could tell you which cylinder was misfiring or if you have another problem.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 AM
Launching!

To update I got out of work really late yesterday but when I went to my car it started fine and drive like It normally does. I'll look at sealing up the o2 wires as I have lt headers.

I did notice on start up all lights light up except the service engine soon light. I never noticed that. Anyways hopefully today I get out before AutoZone closes

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light, transmission vibration