General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window motor fell off

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default window motor fell off

Sooo I guess I should of Loctited these bolts, the motor is just hanging now after inspecting what had happened. The bolts must of broke loose, should I be concerned with anything else? I have to get some new bolts at home depot and re install the motor. The window is up mostly at this point on its own.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never EVER do just the motor. I do the whole regulator assembly with GM rivets and have NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER had an issue. Your gonna need to take the regulator out now and rewind that big spring and bolt/rivet the motor back on. I like using rivets - for pretty much the entire reason you posted.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

I've always done just the motor. Never had one come loose after all these years. I don't ever use the bolts that come with the motor though, they are too short to use a decent lock washer and still get them on without a fight. So I go with bolts one step longer, use lock washers, and have no issues at all. I guess you could also use loctite for additional protection - I never did but it's probably a good idea.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
I never EVER do just the motor. I do the whole regulator assembly with GM rivets and have NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER had an issue. Your gonna need to take the regulator out now and rewind that big spring and bolt/rivet the motor back on. I like using rivets - for pretty much the entire reason you posted.

Jesus, I figured I could just re attach the motor gear back on and be ok after bolting it back in. The window doesn't move its up atm and has very little play up or down if manually moving it.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To update on this post, I ended up just having to rebolt the motor back on, I used slightly longer screws with locknuts and loctite, the regulator was not an issue at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that means the spring didn't unwind itself, and you got lucky lol
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, i guess lol i had no intention of dealing with the regulator looks like a PITA.

Quick Reply: window motor fell off