General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

what kills our front O2s quicker??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what kills our front O2s quicker??

An overly rich tune (like many with long tubes and no catcons end up with), or an excessively lean tune?

I know EITHER will kill them, just want to know which is more destructive to them in a quicker time frame.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tcw3
Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i doubt an excessively lean tune would ever hurt an o2 sensor. by lean i also assume you mean hotter exhaust, and i don't believe any temperature will actually kill them. a high temperature that is above the sensor's range results in them reporting inaccurately. you would have to get it so hot that it starts to melt, at which point you've overheated the catalytic converters and probably melted spark plugs.
a rich tune would kill the o2 sensor because of carbon and soot buildup on the sensor, or failure of the sensor to reach it's minimum operating temperature where it becomes hot enough to burn off contaminants and self-clean.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
i doubt an excessively lean tune would ever hurt an o2 sensor. by lean i also assume you mean hotter exhaust, and i don't believe any temperature will actually kill them. a high temperature that is above the sensor's range results in them reporting inaccurately. you would have to get it so hot that it starts to melt, at which point you've overheated the catalytic converters and probably melted spark plugs.
a rich tune would kill the o2 sensor because of carbon and soot buildup on the sensor, or failure of the sensor to reach it's minimum operating temperature where it becomes hot enough to burn off contaminants and self-clean.
Thanks, and to your response before the above post.

Quick Reply: what kills our front O2s quicker??