General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tick tick tick

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick tick tick

Hello,

After some advice on my 2004 Holden Monaro (LS1) it makes a constant ticking noise. that is noticeable when outside the vehicle or when it is stationary idling. I'm not sure how long it has been doing it for perhaps 6 months or perhaps i never heard it before.after 3000rpm it is either stopped or drowned out by exhaust. No loss of power.it is a constant volume that increases with rpm. more noticeable when the car is next to a wall or another car. when the bonnet is up the belts drown the ticking down however once you close the bonnet the tick becomes noisier than the belts. it is running a stock exhaust system that is very quiet at idle.

I spoke to a mechanic and showed them. they put a stephoscope on the fuel injectors and they all sound the same. he didnt think any cyclinder was louder than any other and assumed lifters. I've ran it on mobil 1 0-40 since ive owned it and have done a few oil changes approximately every 5000kms. At the moment im trying some lifter free to see if that helps.

I have noticed that the exhaust spurts out a puff of black smoke on startup occasionally and also there appear to be small amount of carbon buildup at the back of the engine closest to firewall on the right (as your facing engine).

Is there any ideas for what may help this situation? I dont really want to get the engine opened up just for lifters. If it is lifters can i run it until it loses a cyclinder than replace cam + lifters then without further damage?

I know it difficult to diagnose without hearing it. I just want to do as much as i can with it.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hard to say without hearing it, but LS1s are notoriously noisy. Mine ticks pretty loud at idle and low RPMs. Possibly piston slap or just a noisy valve train, both of which are normal and hurt nothing. I was obsessed with it for a little while but then I was told by some people experienced with LS engines that it sounded normal. Since I have a 2002 Camaro and yours a 2004 Holden, supposedly piston slap shouldn't be as much of an issue since they upgraded the piston skirts. Plus my car ticks even when fully warm, so in my case it's probably just a typical noisy LS1 and not piston slap. Basically it sounds like a I have sewing machine under the hood.

However, it could also be a bent pushrod. Those are pretty easy to check.

Could also be an exhaust leak.

A video would help though.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you pour in a quart of that thick Motor Honey, or STP Oil Treatment and hear the noise almost stop then I'd say a lifter, collapsed spring, bent rod, something in the heads. that thick oil additive coats the components, I had to do that once, I had a car that started that ticking noise from a head and I poured in some STP oil treatment, noise went away (is temporary) before I traded car in at dealer. I'm not a mechanic, but the pros consider head inspection and work on LS1's Heads an easy job, but I leave it to the pros.

Last edited by RJDio; 05-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the replys. I'll take a video tonight and upload it. Also are ls1 belts notoriously noisy also.

Also in regards to the motor honey. would using a thicker oil than 0-40 help? I figured a thicker oil wold offer less protection for the lifters?

Cheers
Old 05-01-2014, 07:31 AM

Default cold startup

Hello,

Here is the car from a cold startup. the tick is most noticeable after 1min30 back corner drivers side and once the bonnet is closed. also at 2mins when i put the phone outside the car and give it a few revs.

Cheers!
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bordelaise
Thanks for the replys. I'll take a video tonight and upload it. Also are ls1 belts notoriously noisy also.

Also in regards to the motor honey. would using a thicker oil than 0-40 help? I figured a thicker oil wold offer less protection for the lifters?

Cheers
I use Royal Purple 5W30, I know people use 10W30 and still have that little LS1 tick like previous poster said. but I used the thick oil treatment more as a troubleshooting event, pour it in and listen. It will be drained out next oil change. It could be something as simple as a collapsed spring or worn lifter. Years ago the STP oil treatment used to be REALLY thick. It would almost make those ticks disappear totally on old beaters. You could also remove belts, briefly start engine and see if tick is gone!? If gone, it is in the belts or components, I have an old school method of finding the noise, put belts back on and spray anything turning with a little WD40 and listen. I like using that WD40 it isn't a permanent lube and cleans off, it is made out of fish oil and evaporates off fast - which is why I don't use on guns. If you find in heads, there are awesome threads and instructions how to remove valve covers and inspect. Or take to a LS1 pro, have them fix head or put in new components while they are in there. good luck
Old 05-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Just a thought check your fans ...I know it sounds silly but stuff does get sucked into them like plastic bags and makes all kinds of funny noises
Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds louder and a bit different than mine, but it's always hard to judge from a video. I would do a search here and find a thread that tells you how to check the pushrods. Or you could have someone do it. I did and it only took him an hour.

I wouldn't go with an oil any thicker than what you already use, it's really not going to protect anything and it won't fix the problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:59 PM

I might take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. the first lot didnt seem to be particularly worried and advised that they're a noisy engine and better to spend the money on exhaust to cover it!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Default missing bolt?

Ok i had another look tonight. I did notice a missing bolt on the exhaust manifold under the oil cap.. Could this be the source of the issue? i have read about missing bolts causing ticking? There is one more bolt on the other side which leads me to believe that this is missing?

Any ideas what bolt type would fit there or part number?
Attached Thumbnails Tick tick tick-img_20140502_215120-1-.jpg   Tick tick tick-img_20140502_215102-1-.jpg  
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd cheat and pull a bolt, go buy one exactly like it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:09 PM

So i pulled the bolt next to it and tried to pop it into the existing hole. bad news the old bolt must have broken off. I went to an exhaust shop and they wanted to take the heads off to remove the bolt without looking at the car.

this broken bolt would definitely be causing the tick? how dangerous would it be for me to leave it? Do these bolts have a habit of breaking themselves?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If there is exhaust leaking out of the manifold there, then it could cause the ticking sound.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 AM

Default fixed!

Hello all.

an update. it was the broken bolt. it had broken off flush. Went to a different exhaust shop and there is no need to take heads off. Made the most of a crappy situation and had the shop upgrade headers,cats and exhaust. Now the tick is gone and it sounds awesome...

thanks for all your help!

Last edited by bordelaise; 05-07-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome!

Quick Reply: Tick tick tick