General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump Choices.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Choices.

Alrighty everyone, I have concluded that I am going to need a new fuel pump and have decided to go with the cutout mod. I have read a few other posts on it here, so I think I am (fairly) good on what needs to happen, my next question is what brand do you guys recommend for a new one and where should I purchase from? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Racetronix with harness from Hawks Third Gen. There are different part numbers for the different engines and years! It wasn't difficult and I did in stages. Stage 1, cut the hatch. I used a cutting wheel on a drill, I did cut a wire and it was an easy repair. Be extremeley careful and only scratch the surface so you don't cut any wires or lines. Measure very well and know which gas tank you have. I cut mine out wrong since the youtube vid I saw was for a different year gas tank. Not a big problem, just made the cover bigger. Stage 2, a few weeks later I ran wire harness in and run it up over the gas tank. I had to loose a bolt or two to squeeze in the wiring harness but it wasn't hard. I placed the fuse near the fuse and relay box under the hood - not on the alternator. I also bought an extra racetronix relay and fuse so I keep a spare in my glove box. It will be extremely hard to replace the new fuel relay since it is mounted up under car in rear wheel well. I discussed with racetronix and they gave me a line of "it doesn't fail, we tested it and we can't guarantee any other way...yea yea yea, whatever! I hate the location of that relay! Stage 3, install the pump and hook up wiring. My car fired up first crank, I was very pleased. Stage 4) install the cover. I bought a thin piece of sheet metal from Home Depot. I drilled small holes and used short metal tapping screws, I used a high quality silicon caulking.
OH YEA, I forgot!!! You may need to replace this part! Mine was bad, the small tiny sensors were all broken off - which explains why my gas gauge was surging sometimes. It's a very cheap part, it's the gas gauge sensor. Here is the link for the one I used, find the one for your gas tank module and will take all of 10 seconds to replace it while you are replacing pump. good luck

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360849986447
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Pump Choices.-racetronix1.jpg   Fuel Pump Choices.-racetronix2.jpg   Fuel Pump Choices.-racetronix3.jpg  

Last edited by RJDio; 05-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Choices.