General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trans Am Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Trans Am Start Issue

Have an '02 WS6 Auto issue. Security light came on quite a while back so I prepared myself for the old VAT's capacitor trick. When I went to install the capacitors, I had disconnected the VATs complete and just for grins I tried to start the vehicle. Started right up. So that told me the VATS was Fault Enabled and I shouldn't have to worry about it. Connected the VATS back up and partied on.

Lately though it has been real fickle and when it will start and when it won't. Can turn the key forward and nothing. Come back 30 minutes later and turn the key and it will start right up. Not sure which direction to go here. Could this be a VATS issue getting worse or something more simple such as the starter solenoid? Security light still stays on. Kind of hard to nail the starter since it is so intermittent.

Anyone else have similar issues? God I'd hate to take this in to a dealer to have the ignition swapped out.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the engine doesn't turn over at all probably the starter. If it turns over and doesn't fire I'd say vats. If it turns over and you hear clicking battery is dieing

If vats could get it disabled by a tuner if you don't want it
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

It won't turn over if it's VATS. Pull the starter and have it tested to confirm that is the problem. If it works, then it's time to look into fully disabling VATS.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the replies. It sometimes will start just fine and others it acts like the VATS is disabling it and won't do anything. Pulling the starter I feel won't do any good because sometimes it works fine and it will probably work fine if I take it down to be tested since the problem is intermittent. Wife got it in today and ran to town for errands. Got back in it at the store and nothing. Waited a little while then fired right back up with no problems. All battery connections are just fine.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Start Issue