General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driver power seat doesn't go down

Old 05-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver power seat doesn't go down

I picked up a 2000 TA a few weeks ago and the driver power seat doesn't go down in the front or back. The seat is already run up as high as it can go but when pressing the switch up you can hear both motors working. When pressing down you get no sound at all. There is power going to both motors when down is pressed. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you take off the side plate of the seat, you can test the switch. You may have to unplug and unbolt the seat to do that. (I can't remember for certain.)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Switch works, when you press down for either the front or rear you get power going to both motors. I guess the motors could be shot. Just seems strange they would both work going up but not down.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Your original post said that when you press down, you get no sound at all.

Either way, you need to take the seat out to figure out what is going on. (Or find a witch doctor to shrink your head so you can get it under the seat.)
Old 05-20-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possible switch or maybe there was some corrosion on the switch from a little water that got in. You will have to pull it apart to see. If you have access to a volt meter this would help tremendously. I suppose a test lamp would work to make sure you have power on both sides of the switch when pressed.

Bet there is a little corrosion there.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Correct, when you press down you get no sound at all. The original post also said there is power going to both motors when down is pressed. So with 12v going to the motor when you press down I was figuring the switch was good. Also jumped both motors with a power probe on the down side and got nothing. Guess its possible both motors motors are shot, just seemed unlikely. Either way I guess the seats coming out at this point, or else I'm going to need a head shrinker just to get in and out of the car. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
Save the manuals!

hmm - that's still odd. I'd think that if the motors go up, they would also go down fine. Have you checked to see if the polarity at the motors is being reversed up vs. down?

I assumed that the seat was still in. Did you remove it to do your testing, or were you able to get to all the wires with it still in place?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember if the motors work at all they are fine. Your switch just reverses polarity on the motors to go in up/down or forward/reverse.

My son just did a physics project on a cable car. It used a motor that had to be reversed polarity to go backwards. We used a double throw double pole switch similar to what your seat has.

GM sure didn't make this stuff that complicated, maybe cheap at times but not complicated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver power seat doesn't go down