General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sudden No Start. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden No Start. Help.

Hey guys, I jumped in the camaro to go to dinner the other day and it wouldn't start. It would crank and crank and not even attempt to fire. While cranking the SES and Security lights remained on.

I popped the hood and looked around and didn't see anything out of place. I jumped back in and tried it again and it fired right up.

Drove like normal to dinner. No issues.

When I was leaving dinner, it was much worse. I tried it a dozen times and it wouldn't start. I finally thought I was about to be stranded and tried it one more time and it fired right up.

Drove home without issue.

I suspect a VATS issue because it ran completely normal.

I've searched a little for VATS issues, and will continue to search some more, but in the mean time if anyone has an idea of what to check let me know.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Hey man, any luck? I've been looking around here and I'm having a problem too. What mine's doing is randomly, (sometimes its once in 3 months, sometimes it's a couple times a day) is it just wont freaking start. I get in it and turn the car on, the radio comes on, the dash lights up, but when I turn the key to start it it just makes one click. Its a loud click that I think is the starter solenoid (I might be wrong) but thats all. I read somewhere that if you turn the lights on, they should dim when you try to start it. This shows that the starter is drawing all of the power; mine did not dim. I was thinking VATS issue as well, but about a year ago, when this was happening very often, I replaced the ignition switch thinking this would fix the problem. It did for a little while, but now its happening again. What I've done the last few times is try to jump it off, and it works. This is what baffles me. Since I've replaced the ignition switch, the 'security' light in the dash is on all of the time (not flashing, but always on even when I'm driving) So where I'm at is: since I'm hearing the click, I guess my ignition switch is fine. I don't understand why jumping it off makes it start. I just got a new battery about a month ago, and I have 12 volts so its fine. Also, I had my starter rebuilt about a year ago, so it should be good too. I'm so confused and frustrated. Hopefully someone will see this and give me/you an idea. I think what I'm going to next is wire a resistor in where the ignition switch plugs into all of that security/vats garbage. I wish I could help you out. I'm sure you've cleaned your key off and stuff, so have you tried getting a new one made? Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the chip in the key, then order a new one, or if you're lucky maybe a locksmith or key-guy in the area has them and get him to cut a new one. I replaced my ignition switch, let me tell you it was a pain, (you need a gear puller and I think some other kind of tool that you can check out from autozone) but doable in a day.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turned out to be my ignition relay man. Give that a shot if you're experiencing my issues.

Quick Reply: Sudden No Start. Help.