General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Urgent!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Urgent!!!

long story short. doing motor mount swap & just gave up for the night.
Problem is I put my car keys on the seat and door must have closed with it being on ramps not thinking about this I'd previously unhooked the battery & starter to get old long tubes out! And now I've closed the hood & hatch & went to retrieve car keys! Guess what?
They're now locked in the car on show & the other set of keys doesn't have a door key!
Anyway to pop the hood without getting in the car?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just broken into my own car with a coat hanger to lift the keys off the seat & teased them through a gap in the window! Never again!
Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man. I always keep a hide - a - key in my toolbox and up under the car where it can't fall off. Like up by the gas tank. Good to hear you got them out.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

just one of the many scenarios of why I always make sure to have a complete second set of keys, hell I had to go out and buy a whole new door and hatch lock set because when I bought this car they didn't have any door keys for it.

I've managed to only lock my keys in the car once in my life (knock on wood) and the scenario there was I had just spent the last couple hours installing a neon light kit under my old honda in the back lot behind the RadioShack I bought the neon kit from (this was like 10-12 years ago back in my ricer days) and I opened the passenger door and reached in and cranked the car and I was cold (temp had dropped quite a bit after the sun went down) and tired after spending all this time installing and not thinking twice about it, I closed the passenger door.

The problem is the alarm I had on the car auto locks the doors if the driver door is closed when you crank the car, so I was stuck in shorts in like 50* weather with the car running when I had to call the house and get someone to come the 20-30 minute drive into town, stop by my dad's timber frame shop (where we kept all the spare keys for every car in the family) and then bring them to me, all I can say is thank God I had a cell phone by then, keep in mind this was early 2000's cell phones hadn't proliferated to the teen market like they have today.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is too easy to break into an fbody. These huge windows give a hell of a gap to fit a hanger through
Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take down your vin and proof you own the car. Go to the dealership and have them make you a key. They used to be able to do this at one time as I had to do it once a long time ago after losing a set of keys.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NightwalkerLS1
Take down your vin and proof you own the car. Go to the dealership and have them make you a key. They used to be able to do this at one time as I had to do it once a long time ago after losing a set of keys.
provided they still have "blanks" for that key design, I had to go to Bill Holt in Canton because Lawson in Jasper didn't have the blanks and even then it didn't work for me, so either the car had been re-keyed at some point or GM screwed up the VIN/Key registry to start with (which is known to happen once in a while). I ended up re-keying the car so I could get door keys.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Epic...

Quick Reply: Urgent!!!