General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Lets talk Transmission and Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Lets talk Transmission and Motor Mounts

I have vibrations under my car at speeds above 55 MPH, and I already posted about this before but decided to make a new thread for general knowledge purposes.

I am going to replace my transmission mount and I've done this on another FBody ages ago with a Poly Mount and it wasn't a very pleasant experience as the vibrations were outrageous.

I want a strong transmission mount I dont need to replace every 6 months but I cant deal with that kind of noise while driving. I heard of a member here who replaced his MOTOR mounts with Energy Suspension mounts and used a stock rubber mount and because the motor mounts didnt allow any movement, the transmission mount never wore out. If I were to do this, would I still have intense vibrations due to using Polyurthane motor mounts?

I hear mixed opinions between Prothane and Energy Suspension, Some say Prothane vibrates more, others say Energy Suspension rattles more, is there any conclusion to this?

I also found another transmission mount:
Amazon.com: Lakewood 24350 Polyurethane Trans Mount: Automotive Amazon.com: Lakewood 24350 Polyurethane Trans Mount: Automotive
from Lakewood. I was wondering if anyone has used this one and what kind of results they had with it, longevity, does it rattle?

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-14-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-14-2014, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chiming in on this since I need to replace my motor mounts as well (still on my stock ones and found out my passenger side one is cracked). I'm probably just going to go with the stock rubber ones since I've heard the poly ones have bad vibration noises. Don't know anything about the Energy Suspension ones.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

I've also heard that the various poly ENGINE mounts actually help save the stock/OEM rubber trans mount from wearing and tearing, due to less twisting getting back to it, and that this combo will not be too bad as far as NVH goes either.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have solid motor mounts and running a stock lt1 t56 trans mount. (Factory ls1 mount is $80 or something rediculous)

The poly eurathane trans mount is too hard to be effective. I had a lot of issues with vibrations in the drive line when I had one and amplified clutch chatter.

With my solid motor mounts the transmission mount acts more like a bushing between the cross brace and the trans, where as on factory motor mounts the trans mount seemed to hold the trans to the cross member

So go to autozone after you get poly or solid mounts and get the lt1 trans mount for $10 with a lifetime warranty
Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Launching!

I installed poly motor mounts and poly trans mount. Didn't have any additional vibration and the car actually felt tigher due the fact the motor and trans wasn't flopping around anymore. So I'd say do both or do neither. Guys who only install a poly trans mount seem to always end up complaining about vibration issues.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

My stock LS1 T56 transmission mount worked great for 100k. I just had the trans out for slave cylinder replacement and figured I'd put a new mount. Nothing was really wrong with the oem one, just figured why not since it's apart. Got a delco one from amazon, something around $40.

Here is the link if you are interested:

Amazon.com: ACDelco 22174970 Strut Mount Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 22174970 Strut Mount Assembly: Automotive
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another happy Prothane poly engine/transmission/torque arm mount user here Like LopeyZ mentions, the car feels so much more tighter. I don't have any of the vibrations like others have complained about, either -- and mine is a DD.

The thing to keep in mind about the Prothane transmission mount is that it does not need the extra plate like the Energy Suspension mount uses. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the vibrations, but perhaps something to take into consideration.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use E/S poly stuff everywhere - very happy; tight and crisp.

Having said that, MY car's vibration was the result of the D/S being out of balance - you might want to check that out as well...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Launching!

What kinda shape is your u joints in? And I would look at the tq arm mount. Seen those go bad b4 and make some nasty feelings when driving.

Quick Reply: Lets talk Transmission and Motor Mounts