General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trying to find reason for sporadic loss of power/miss fire (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find reason for sporadic loss of power/miss fire (?)

Could a loose cat-back throw the car into limp mode? Keep in mind, none of my service lights have come on or are on while/since this happened. (They do light before start up)

I mated LTs and an ORY(TSP) to my LM1 last year and during the install I found the the y and cat back didn't have the same diameter pipe. But being I had to get the car out of the shop, I clamped it the best I could and took it home. Since then I haven't been driving it much (weekend toy) because it leaks and rattles (LM1 hitting the axle tube).

Anywho, coming home from work last year, the car just lost all power and ran like crap, almost like it was running on 3 cylinders. Did it in drive and neutral. I gave it some gas, and with enough pedal it came out of it...but went right back to chugging. Got it home by using that method, seemed to smooth out and run ok with enough gas.

Fast forward almost a year with never doing it again (been pretty good about checking clamps.) Last week it did it again trying to leave for work. I turned around and just took another vehicle. I haven't started it since, but tomorrow I'm going to get underneath and look the clamps again.

If everything is good (as good as it can be) what else should I be looking at? I'm hoping it's just that the rattle/knocking is getting back to the sensors, because as soon as things loosen up a bit financially I'm just gonna go dumped bullets.

Long, I know but more info is better than to little right lol?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try to get a scan master hooked up while its running and see whats going on. A much better idea than throwing sensors at it.

I dont think a lose catback would cause any such issues. If I were to take a stab at it from what I read, I would check simple things like fuel and spark.

Pull the plugs, look at their color, that can tell a lot. Change the fuel filter, probably needs to be done anyway. Spray some water from a spray bottle on the wires while it is running. If the idle drops it could be as simple as the wires are bad.

This could be something as simple as a TPS sensor going bad, but better to track it down than to just start pissing away cash on parts you prob dont need

Quick Reply: Trying to find reason for sporadic loss of power/miss fire (?)