General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

steering ahft detached

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering ahft detached

Today I was pulling away from a 4 way stop and I feel a pop in the steering wheel and there goes my steering car makes a turn for ther ight. I manage to get it stopped before I hit the ditch. Thank god I was not on the highway or going at any real rate of speed.
The steering shaft cam detached from the steering rack. I get it towed home jack it up get things adjusted and put back on. Not 100% if it is correct.
I have two issues.
One I have a slight pop when turning left just before the wheel its straight.
Two – Airbag light is now on. Sticker on steering shaft says not to turn wheel while shaft is not connected. The sticker says see owner’smanual. I don’t have one. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-27-2014, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an answer for you, but I am very interested in this as well.
Especially, as I have had some odd loose in and out play with my steering wheel lately.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are wires in your steering wheel for various things, airbag, steering wheel buttons if you have them. the wheel can only turn so far in each direction before the length of those wires gets used up and they break. that's why they say don't turn the wheel when it is not connected to the rack, which limits how far the wheel can turn each way. you need to know the center position of the wheel and not lose it if it's disconnected.
my guess is if your airbag light is now on, you may have over turned the steering wheel when it was disconnected, or reconnected it when not centered or within the proper range and you broke wires or whatever inside the steering wheel.

there is little resistance in the steering column, having it connected does not keep you going straight. when the steering shaft popped off the rack your car should still go fairly straight. if it went right you have alignment problems.

as for the pop when turning, my guess is you have steering problems probably in the ball joints.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

You broke the clock spring by turning the wheel too far. That will have to be replaced, the steering issue I suggest you take the car to a dealer to have it properly looked at.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clock spring? His steering shaft came off not his steering wheel.

I would first find out why this came off. This is very unusual. This could be the popping you hear as well. Maybe there is a binding. You have a pinch bolt that aligns up with a little groove on the rack shaft. Is this in good shape? Have you done any work on this lately?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a problem with the way replacement steering racks are labeled in parts books for these cars. For whatever reason, there is no easy way to decipher the correct rack for LS1 cars when looking up the part. Thus, some people end up getting a LT1 rack -- which bolts up -- but throws the angle of the shaft off. It can bolt on, but it takes some encouragement. It is also visibly at a steep angle. I speak from experience as one of my friend's had the same issue with his 2000 T/A that he bought used. The steering popped awkwardly, but it wasn't until we attempted to install long tubes that we were able to determine what the problem was.

There is a thread in this section somewhere which people list the correct part number.

Quick Reply: steering ahft detached