General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Motor Rivet Holes - Fix or good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Window Motor Rivet Holes - Fix or good?

Howdy,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The knuckleheads who installed the power window motors in my wife's 1999 Firebird just used whatever bolts they had on hand from their last trip to Harbor Freight to mount them. I tried to rivet them the other night, but the 1/4" rivets didn't fit quite right.

I have obtained the proper rivets from the dealership.

My problem is that the holes in the composite panel are slightly elongated due to the morons. I'd say about 2-4mm as the bolts pressed against it when the motor bound up as the window reached its limit. (Sorry, no photos yet.)

Should I attempt to fix it or will the correct rivets distribute enough of the load that it won't matter much?

Any ideas on how to fix it? I have epoxy and various weights of fiberglass cloth.

Thank you for reading!
Jason
Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Sounds like you're talking about the rivets for the regulator, not the motor. It's common to replace the motor rivets with screws, as it's metal-to-metal and there is no composite panel inbetween to elongate. But the regulator mounting is a different story.

Sounds like you have the correct rivets now, as the ones for the regulator are a special type. But if the hole is already enlarged, you'll likely have to fix that first. I've seen a few threads on this in the past, you might be able to find them with a search in the Paint and Body work section. But you'll want to search for "widow regulator hole repair" or something like this, as the window motor holes wouldn't need this sort of repair.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's a good thread that discusses repair options. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html

Quick Reply: Window Motor Rivet Holes - Fix or good?