General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air in cooling system after hose leak? Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Air in cooling system after hose leak? Opinions wanted

Hey guys so I noticed the other day one of my heater hoses on my car was leaking (the ones that go to the heater core) no big deal, I had replaced the old style compression fittings with worm clamps and one had come a little loose.... I checked the coolant level and it was quite low so I was assuming it had been leaking a while. I filled the coolant up and drove the car for a day and it runs fine as always.

Checked in one morning when the car was cold and I saw it was a little low. At this point I started to worry.... As i could not see any leaks anywhere. The meziere ewp on the car makes it hard to bleed the system the way I'm used to where I just leave the cap off and let it idle till the thermostat opens as its flowing max capacity (55 gpm) even at idle so it makes things a little hairy. I was thinking it perhaps was just air in the system from the leak that I did not get out since I just filled it up, to be safe this morning I got a coolant test kit from autzone.

Did the blue fluid test 4 different times all around 180-190 degrees verified by hptuners. drained a couple inches from the radiatior neck so the tester didnt suck any antifreeze up and it never changed colors even with pumping the little ball on top except for the one time I accidently sucked up antifreeze making it a little green... So I GUESS/HOPE that rules out a head gasket?

I did a pressure test as well and it lost a TINY amount but I'm attributing that to the tester cap itself not sealing the best. I didn't see any fluid leak out which is what prompted me to do the fluid test above.

Also through the course of this episode I've been smelling the exhaust and the water coming from it and so far its just been pure water with no smell of coolant. The oil is sparkling clean as always as well as the cap and catch can.

Other than that I'm pretty much out of ideas haha today when I was doing the testing I turned the heat on full blast and got a couple decent sized air bubbles from it so I just filled accordingly so well see what happens over the next couple days.

My concern is that it was a head gasket whcih is why I'm asking for some opinions. Imo I've done everything to rule it out? I'm taking the car to get dynoed for the FAST intake next week so I just want to be sure the heads are fine, I can deal with tracking down a small leak if thats the case.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

If it had been low on coolant for quite some time (due to the clamp/hose leak), then there was plenty of air in the system. The first time you refilled probably didn't get all the air out, it might take a few heat up/cool down cycles (and appropriate top-offs) to get the level back to where it needs to be. I wouldn't worry unless it continues to be low after 2-3 heat up/cool down cycles or so, or if it's dropping just as much with each cycle (should be less each time).
Old 09-05-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yep thats pretty much what it did.... when I checked it the next time the amount required was much less.

You think the fact that it passed the block test along with the other symptoms means im ok?

Quick Reply: Air in cooling system after hose leak? Opinions wanted