General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

constant clunking sound from front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 01:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default constant clunking sound from front end

I have been trying to chase down a constant clunking sound i have been having. The sound is constant once i get up to about 15 mph or so and speeds up and gets louder as i increase speed. Originally it seemed to get worse when i would have to turn the wheel, for instance if the road curved. I looked it over with the help of a mechanic and noticed that my inner and outer tie rods were really worn so yesterday i replaced them in hopes that they were the issue but now it seems like the sound has actually gotten worse and the sound is constant whether or not i turn the wheel. A few months back i replaced my passenger wheel hub because it was bad and was making a ton of noise and after i replaced it is when i noticed this noise but honestly it could have been there before however it does seem like it has something to do with the wheel, tire, hub, brake area since it increases with speed and it also definitely decreases when i go slower. any suggestions??
Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
I have been trying to chase down a constant clunking sound i have been having. The sound is constant once i get up to about 15 mph or so and speeds up and gets louder as i increase speed. Originally it seemed to get worse when i would have to turn the wheel, for instance if the road curved. I looked it over with the help of a mechanic and noticed that my inner and outer tie rods were really worn so yesterday i replaced them in hopes that they were the issue but now it seems like the sound has actually gotten worse and the sound is constant whether or not i turn the wheel. A few months back i replaced my passenger wheel hub because it was bad and was making a ton of noise and after i replaced it is when i noticed this noise but honestly it could have been there before however it does seem like it has something to do with the wheel, tire, hub, brake area since it increases with speed and it also definitely decreases when i go slower. any suggestions??
Not to insult your intelligence, but do you still have your sway bar installed? The bushings will eventually wear out causing excessive movement, thus creating the noise you described. As well as the sway bar links. Check them as well. Easy to do. Lift the vehicle so the front end is hanging freely ( jack stands on the pinch welds). Get under there and check the play by grabbing the sway bar and try to move it side to side. No movement [I]usually[I] means the bushings are ok. Check your links by grabbing the bottom of the link and try to push it up and down. If there is any play in there, you will here/feel a clunking sound. If so replace. Hope this helps
Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Infantrymarine
Not to insult your intelligence, but do you still have your sway bar installed? The bushings will eventually wear out causing excessive movement, thus creating the noise you described. As well as the sway bar links. Check them as well. Easy to do. Lift the vehicle so the front end is hanging freely ( jack stands on the pinch welds). Get under there and check the play by grabbing the sway bar and try to move it side to side. No movement [I]usually[I] means the bushings are ok. Check your links by grabbing the bottom of the link and try to push it up and down. If there is any play in there, you will here/feel a clunking sound. If so replace. Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice...i had already checked the swaybar bushings and endlinks but luckily today i fixed it. My driver wheel hub was bad
Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal man.

Quick Reply: constant clunking sound from front end