General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My BCM won't come out! HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My BCM won't come out! HELP!!

Hi guys. Mine is a stock 99 Camaro. I'm about 99% sure that the problem I'm having with the stereo/power windows randomly quitting on me is due to a poor solder in the BCM. I have read and researched and spoken to my local GM dealership, and did manage to get the wires disconnected from the box. The problem now is that I can't get that **** box out of its happy little nest. Dealership guy says if I pull the tab at the front (as in- it's facing me), the box containing the BCM should "just slide right out". Oh, if only it were that easy. It seems to be caught on something- some sort of levered gizmo that I can't see (no surprise there, given the location) or maybe a clip or something. I know this is a fairly common issue with Camaro and 'Birds, so I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there can tell me why I can't pull that thing out and get on with it. If you are reading this and you know how to help, assume I know nothing and try to be as specific as you can. Cold weather is coming, guys, and it bites to have to stand next to the car at drive-thrus! Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

it was a bitch and a half, get a couple long screw drivers and don't be afraid to use a little force to spread the cradle open.

the way I did mine was, remove the big plastic cover, unhook the big spool of cables that are in the way then I used some long screw drivers I jammed in between the BCM and its holder and just went to town prying on it till I was able to pop one side loose, after that it came out easy then I unplugged the wires.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
it was a bitch and a half
True that. Keep trying.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:48 PM

Gentlemen, thank you. I appreciate your time in responding. Additional Questions: Once the wires are disconnected from the bottom of the unit, is there any other connection I need to know about? And do I wedge the screwdrivers in at the front or on the sides?
Old 11-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

There are no other connections to worry about. It just clips in, but it's a bear to get it loose. I don't remember how to work the screwdrivers, but just keep trying different approaches. You'll get it. I've done the job on 2 or 3 cars, and if I can do it, you can do it.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, Rev. I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

only tip I can give is to get the screw driver on the side of the BCM closest to the center console and pry that side so that the "front" of the bcm can be pulled toward the firewall.

thats the best I can explain how I did it, it was late at night, cold and I was upside down.

I still remember the first time I tried to get it out and decided at that time the window/radio wasn't happening enough to deal with the hassle, but eventually it got worse so I finally decided to wrestle it out.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 PM

Thanks so much. I really appreciate that info. And I agree that it eventually gets to be something you just can't ignore. Makes for a hassle at places like the drive-thru bank, too. Sometimes you just don't want to have to get out of the car, right? You're an angel.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM

Default Now what?

OK, so I was having the same problem as so many others with the intermittent windows/stereo. I pulled out the BCM and my boss, an electrical engineer, did the re-solder work. We decided to test it out. We plugged the wires directly into the circuit board without first putting it back in the little black box. I turned the key one position- activating the electrical power to the car- and POOF! Sparks and smoke!! Apparently we somehow burned out a lead. Here's where I'm at: the windows and stereo work (yay), but every time you open either door, the alarm goes off (very annoying), there are NO interior lights, and every time I put my foot on the brake, the trunk release activates. Also, the key fob won't lock the doors, although it will shut off the alarm. And lastly, I have no reserved power, if that's the right term, so that when you shut off the motor, everything shuts off. Before this happened, the lights and stereo wouldn't go off until you opened the door. Now- nothing. So, do I need a new BCM? And if so, how do I program it to my key? I need your help, guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Pontiacerator

Sparks and smoke? Yes, you need a new BCM. Too bad that guy goofed it up for you. You only need the tiniest bit of solder to reinforce those points a little from the cracking. Any more, and you have the problems you're having.

I think you'll just need to reprogram the fob. It's very simple - just search for it online and you'll find the procedure.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:09 PM

Talking Well darn. Squared.

Thanks Rev. Good to hear back from you. And pretty quick, too. I'm grateful. As for the car, I promise not to kill the messenger, even though it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I guess I expected as much. Nothing, and honey I mean NOTHING is easy when it comes to that car. I suppose I should postpone re-programming the key fob until I get a new BCM. Do I need to go through Chevrolet? I've heard nothing but horror stories, and it ain't growing on trees down here. I know a used one is as much of a problem as a bad one, but is that an option? God, the questions. Sorry. Like I said earlier, assume I know nothing and we'll all go from there. You rock, dude. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Yes, just wait until the new BCM is in place and then go through the programming procedure. I think it's the same for all GM's so this should work for you: http://www.ehow.com/how_6559018_prog...-key-fobs.html

Quick Reply: My BCM won't come out! HELP!!