General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

exhaust issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust issue

in a futile attempt to remove my A4 transmission i had removed the exhaust to get better access to the bellhousing bolts well due to the cat bolts being rusted shut and using an impact gun to no avail i was putting everything back on and when i got to the y- pipe section i left it off just for kicks and fired up hehehhe loud very nice ....well as i didnt feel like dropping the axel or cutting the exhaust I went back under the car to find ALOT of gold lil tiny flakes .....does anyone know where these might be coming from or is that just standard debris from the cats?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Nobody has nothing?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:51 AM

Default Cat Converter

Just a guess..but if it's debris/rust from your catalytic converter, it is not standard. It needs to be replaced.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:27 AM
Launching!

yeah the rattling is getting bad ...and it car seems to hesitate so I assume the exhaust is back flowing back into the motor until what ever is rattling around in their moves out of the way a lil
Old 11-23-2014, 11:55 AM
Launching!

I saw gold flakes shooting out the exhaust after I removed the Y-pipe section....so if anyone sees flakes its probably the insulation collapsing

What you see here is the inside of what once was the inner material of a stock 2002 ws6 trans am. The honey comb material is what makes the cat do w/e its supposed to do (filter I guess) the other fluffy white material with little gold glakes is the insulation that surrounds the honey comb insulating it and i assume sound deadening aswell. In my case mine apparently was missing from my passenger side CAT causing what I thought was some motor issues/ rough idle/ hesitation.....although the honey comb was undamaged I punched the material out and did the same with the driver side for good measure.

Although the vehicle is a lil throaty now LOL the idle is very smooth as I can only assume it was clogged and the exhaust forced the much weaker fluffy material out and down to the muffler which will probably get replaced soon. I did not notice any change in MPG as I went on an hour drive although I did replace all the o2s while I was down their.

Quick Reply: exhaust issue