General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Heater doesn't blow hot after airbag removal

Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Heater doesn't blow hot after airbag removal

I need your guys help on finding out why my heater doesn't work. It was perfectly fine and blew hot air, all before I removed my driver and passenger side airbag (weight reduction )

The blower works right now, and blows out lots of air.....just cool air and not hot. I mainly need it for defrost. Is their a connection somewhere behind/underneath the dash I might of disconnected? Whats the best way I can troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-19-2014, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

anybody?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how you could have messed it up, but then again I'm not familiar with its routing on this car, but there is a a cable (similar to a throttle cable in design) that runs from the hot/cold **** to a valve that lets coolant flow into the heater core, you have likely either damaged this cable or knocked it off one end, resulting in turning the **** having no effect. I did something like this once on my first honda.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I don't see how you could have messed it up, but then again I'm not familiar with its routing on this car, but there is a a cable (similar to a throttle cable in design) that runs from the hot/cold **** to a valve that lets coolant flow into the heater core, you have likely either damaged this cable or knocked it off one end, resulting in turning the **** having no effect. I did something like this once on my first honda.
Thanks, I guess their is only one way to find out....I'll have to pull the dash again
Old 11-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No, just take off the lower IP panel on the passenger side. You should then be able to see the lower bearing and shaft that the hot/cold flapper rotates on. You can the see if the shaft moves when you turn the hot/cold dial.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
No, just take off the lower IP panel on the passenger side. You should then be able to see the lower bearing and shaft that the hot/cold flapper rotates on. You can the see if the shaft moves when you turn the hot/cold dial.
Is that the panel below the glove box?
Old 11-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Save the manuals!

yes. I recall there is a plastic cover around that bearing and shaft that you can take off to expose the mechanism where the cable attaches the flapper. It might be able to see it "work" with that cover off - but be careful. There's a spring in there that will pop out if you operate the mechanism too roughly with the cover off.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

yes. I recall there is a plastic cover around that bearing and shaft that you can take off to expose the mechanism where the cable attaches the flapper. It might be able to see it "work" with that cover off - but be careful. There's a spring in there that will pop out if you operate the mechanism too roughly with the cover off.
Ok I see. I believe this is it in the picture:

Now is the white center piece suppose to move when I turn my heater control ****? Because mine is not....

Also, does the car need to be running? Or just ignition on to test it?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Got it fixed.

Thanks wssix99 for leading me in the direction. The switch to that cable, which is snapped on behind the heater ****, was left disconnected. I snapped it back on and the cable was turning everything. Good to go
Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Cool. Thanks for posting back. BTW - Now that its been hooked back up, you'll want to listen and make sure you hear a "thunk" when you move all the way hot and all the way cold. If not, you'll need to adjust it.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Cool. Thanks for posting back. BTW - Now that its been hooked back up, you'll want to listen and make sure you hear a "thunk" when you move all the way hot and all the way cold. If not, you'll need to adjust it.
Yup, it makes that "thunk" sound.

I always like to post back on my findings, so I can help others that might have the same problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heater doesn't blow hot after airbag removal