General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My March start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My March start up

Have my bird in storage til March, I hate winter, LOL. I read something online about starting it the first time and would like some opinions, what I read was before you start it, you depressurize the fuel at the Schrader valve, remove the injector and fuel pump fuses and spin(I take it crank) the motor for 30-45 seconds. Then reinstall fuses, turn the key afew times to pressurize the fuel system, and start the car. What I read the guy did it to make sure everything in the engine had some oil on it before starting, but right when I put it away I changed the oil (I use full synthetic) Is this necessary? Thanks
Old 11-22-2014, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I don't do any of that.

Mine sits from late October until early April every year. For the first start, I make sure the battery is fully charged (I use a smart charger, which can also be used as a tender), then I sit down in the driver's seat, insert the ignition key and turn it all the way. Engine starts, runs well, all is fine. After 16 years this has never caused a problem.

FYI. There will still be an oil film on all the internal engine parts after winter storage. Most oil that's going to drain back to the pan will do so shortly after engine shutdown anyway, so weather it's been a week or several months, there isn't much difference. If the engine has never been fired before (such as a fresh build) or has been stored for many years, then there would be more cause for concern and some pre-oiling would be a good idea. Simple 4-6 month winter storage doesn't really require any pre-oiling of the engine prior to spring start up.

Quick Reply: My March start up