General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone Solved the Rear Hatch Drainage Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Solved the Rear Hatch Drainage Leak?

I've owned fbodies all my life, and I've always had an issue with water leaking into the rear seat floor area. It's a know issue that if you park facing downward or if it downpours and floods the hatch drainage water will leak in around the hatch seal where it starts to curve up to the roof line.
I've know this and always park with the front end inclined up, but a few times a year we get storms big enough to flood the drainage and I end up spending a few hours drying out the carpet in the back seat.

There's gotta be a better way? Has anyone modified the hatch seal for a tighter fit and had success?
Old 01-04-2015, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

it might not be the rear hatch causing the leak into the rear seat floorboard, there is a less common leak that comes from the screw holding the plastic piece in the weather stripping where the t-top meets the sail panel that can leak and the water runs down behind the interior sail panel plastics and into the floor. Assuming your a t-top car.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Both my current cars are non-ttop and they do this. I am almost certain it's from the seal around the hatch where the body curves up. It's decently well documented as an issue, but i haven't come across a good solution yet.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Folks in the threads linked through here have solved the problem: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rainstorm.html
Old 01-05-2015, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Dam I've owned 20-30 fbodies and I've never noticed a leak?

Quick Reply: Anyone Solved the Rear Hatch Drainage Leak?