General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 SS instantly blowing Tail Lmps fuse when lights go on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SS instantly blowing Tail Lmps fuse when lights go on.

just replaced my headlight switch today and was disappointed to find out that it didnt solve my problem. the problem is whenever i turn my lights on the tail lamps fuse is POPPED instantly. I tried it with my dimmer switch disconnected and it still blew. Im at a loss and its pissing me off since ive already gotten pulled over for it once and got a warning. We have a cold front tomorrow and im forced to drive the gixxer to work

I believe the Tail lmps fuse controls the lights for the radio, dash lights, fog lights and tail light (NOT brake lights, those work fine). I had the dimmer switch disconnected and it still did it so it cannot be a faulty dimmer switch, am i right? Otherwise im guessing its a short.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't limit your self to just the tail lights, keep in mind that the tail lights are on the park lights circuit. I had the same issue on my '69 C-10 a few years ago, all i did was pull all the bulbs, turn the lights on, and plug the bulbs back in one at a time till it blows the fuse. That's how I found a short in the front park lamp wiring. I don't know for sure if it'll work on newer cars but that's what worked for me in the past. Good luck with it and keep us posted. I'll be the first to tell you, I SUCK at, and hate, troubleshooting electrical issues. But there are a lot of smart guys on here willing to help. I hope all goes well.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

That fuse powers MANY things. Right click and choose open link for larcher view.
Attached Thumbnails 99 SS instantly blowing Tail Lmps fuse when lights go on.-tail-rear.jpg  

Quick Reply: 99 SS instantly blowing Tail Lmps fuse when lights go on.