General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Very bad squeeking / squeeling from Serpentine System. All Idlers replaced already.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Very bad squeeking / squeeling from Serpentine System. All Idlers replaced already.

I have a 1999 Chevy Camaro Z28.

I have already replaced all of the idler pulleys with Goodyear replacements (yes, they do make them for the A/C system as well and I'm going to give out the part numbers in another thread.) This includes the Idler near the alternator, the Idler on the tensioner, and both idlerd in the A/C system. I've replaced both belts but it still squeals like hell. My belt is a Gates belt. I took the serpentine belt off and the squealling went away so I know it's coming from the serpentine system (I left the A/C belt on). This squeal is very weird. On a cold start at idle you can't hear it but when you start driving it appears within about a minute and won't disappear even at idle for approximately 30 minutes ... after that it's still there but it's barely noticeable... My Power Steering pump is leaking fluid but I can't tell if it's the power steering pump, alternator (which is only a few months old as well) or the water pump and all three of them can be decently pricey to replace and I don't want to throw money away. Anyone ever have anything like this before?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a somewhat similar problem with my accessory drive. New tensioners and new gates belt and at idle it would lightly chirp and then would sqeel if you gave it any gas.
I got so fed up I just pulled the belt off but halfway through the summer I just couldn't stand not having A/C. I took the recommendation of anothet board member and put on Goodyear Gatorback belts and haven't heard a peep since.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tophatjimmy
I had a somewhat similar problem with my accessory drive. New tensioners and new gates belt and at idle it would lightly chirp and then would sqeel if you gave it any gas.
I got so fed up I just pulled the belt off but halfway through the summer I just couldn't stand not having A/C. I took the recommendation of anothet board member and put on Goodyear Gatorback belts and haven't heard a peep since.
I'll try the GoodYear Gatorback belt, but this issue is coming from my drive belt (Water Pump, Power Steering , Alternetor)... not my Air Conditioning belt. I verified by taking the drive belt off and starting the car and no more squealing... The issue also happened and was getting progressively worse on my old belt when it never used to do this before.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd try a different belt. Also make sure no oil, coolant, or powersteering fluid is leaking on it.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

So on my way home from work tonight I was gifted with the revealation to my belt squeal... As my cabin suddenly reeked of the sweet smell of hot coolant... it was my water pump ... Going to replace that today.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Addict

Luckily it was something easy and you caught it before the engine overheated.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm at a loss for words. I spent all night replacing my water pump. Although I successfully cured the coolant leak (which it was leaking out the bottom and draining down my oil pan.) The squealing only got worse... It's extremely weird, because on a cold start there is NO squealing... it just appears after the car warms up.

Once again all idlers have been replaced, this includes on the AC and Serpentine. When I remove the serpentine belt, the squealing goes away. When I rev, it gets worse.. Any other ideas?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you replace the belt when you replaced the water pump?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I fought a problem like this for a while on my f-body, replaced all pulleys, tensioners, water pump, alternator, etc, then finally upgraded the belt and it went away. I had originally bought the cheap belt from Advance auto and didn't suspect the belt because it was brand new.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Y87bird00
Did you replace the belt when you replaced the water pump?
Originally Posted by Bowtie316
I fought a problem like this for a while on my f-body, replaced all pulleys, tensioners, water pump, alternator, etc, then finally upgraded the belt and it went away. I had originally bought the cheap belt from Advance auto and didn't suspect the belt because it was brand new.
I didnt replace the belt much like Bowtie316 stated, my belt is only 2 months old and didnt think it needed replacement. It was a fairly expensive unit from O'Reily's, a Gates Belt. I am going to go ahead and upgrade to the Gatorback Belt because I've always wanted one anyway, but believe it or not they're very hard to find here for some reason. I'll probably have to order it online. I may aswell have a new tensioner ordered while I'm at it, that will knock out two possible sources.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

So if I'm reading all this right you replaced the pulleys but left the tensioner (only replacing it's pulley)? If that is correct I would say replace the tensioner unit itself, also with the belt off spin the pulleys for all the drive belt accessories and listen for any bearing noise from them.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Is it more of a chirp or a squeal? Bad belts tend to chirp more than squeal, bad pulleys squeal more than chirp.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
So if I'm reading all this right you replaced the pulleys but left the tensioner (only replacing it's pulley)? If that is correct I would say replace the tensioner unit itself, also with the belt off spin the pulleys for all the drive belt accessories and listen for any bearing noise from them.
Going to replace the tensioner today. I tried spinning the pulleys and individually none of them produce any noise when I spin them by hand. They also seem to have the proper resistances. Im hoping the tensioner works, but if it doesnt I'm ordering Gatorbacks from rockauto... if that doesnt work then Im really stumped. The only part I havent already replaced by that point would be the power steering pump.

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
Is it more of a chirp or a squeal? Bad belts tend to chirp more than squeal, bad pulleys squeal more than chirp.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 02-06-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

belt tensioner replaced but no fix
Old 02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Check the aluminum bracket that holds the alternator to the engine and see if the smoth idler pulley is rubbing the front of it. Even a new pulley will side load with belt tension and cause this kind of noise. There should be a scrape mark on the aluminum bracket if the back of the pulley is rubbing on it.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Check the aluminum bracket that holds the alternator to the engine and see if the smoth idler pulley is rubbing the front of it. Even a new pulley will side load with belt tension and cause this kind of noise. There should be a scrape mark on the aluminum bracket if the back of the pulley is rubbing on it.
If I understand correctly, remove the Idler Pulley and check the bracket... See if the back of the pulley is scraping the bracket that mounts it?

If it is, what is the fix for this?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Did you replace the belt tensioner unit itself, or just the pulley? Sometimes the spring gets old and corroded and doesn't keep tension properly. Also if your power steering pump leaks it will drip on your alternator and likely damage it too. Maybe try spraying belt dressing on while it's running, if it gets quiet it's just a belt or a pulley that has gunk on it, caused by grime/grease on it. Sometimes the smooth pulley gets dried rubber residue and surface rust on it and you need to take some sand paper and lightly rub it off til it's smooth.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by McGinnis
Did you replace the belt tensioner unit itself, or just the pulley? Sometimes the spring gets old and corroded and doesn't keep tension properly. Also if your power steering pump leaks it will drip on your alternator and likely damage it too. Maybe try spraying belt dressing on while it's running, if it gets quiet it's just a belt or a pulley that has gunk on it, caused by grime/grease on it. Sometimes the smooth pulley gets dried rubber residue and surface rust on it and you need to take some sand paper and lightly rub it off til it's smooth.
Replaced the entire belt tensioner. My stock one did feel alittle weaker than my new one does, not by ALOT but I can tell a difference but in either case it didn't fix the noise. I'm going to leave the new tensioner on anyway of course for peace of mind. I am getting under the car tomorrow and Sunday and going to remove the idler on the alternator bracket and see if its scraping. I'm also going to replace the alternator because its under warranty. I can't tell if any fluid is hitting the belts. the leak on the power steering unit is VERY slow...we're talking drips per month so its very hard to trace the leak, I only know its leaking because Im very slowly losing fluid.

My alt gauge is also not as high as it used to be. used to read over 13 volts but now its sitting just barely below 13. Its not in danger or anything, but its not like it used to be either.

Also at idle I notice a rythem to the squeaking, if this may or may not help but it goes: - squeak - squeaksqueak - squeak - squeaksqueak - squeak - squeaksqueak - squeak... Also whenever I remove the Seperntine belt, it almost immediately folds back up to the folded position it was in when it was in the wrapper when I purchased it instead of staying round... is this normal?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I actually hear two distinct noises. I hear a belt chirp, but there is also a squeal from one of those accessories. A bearing in one of them is going/gone south.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
If I understand correctly, remove the Idler Pulley and check the bracket... See if the back of the pulley is scraping the bracket that mounts it?

If it is, what is the fix for this?
Yes. First make sure it has the front and rear dust covers on it. One of my old F-body cars had a washer type shim behind the rear dust cover to keep it from rubbing. IDK if it was from GM this way as I wasnt the original owner of the car. It worked though.

Quick Reply: Very bad squeeking / squeeling from Serpentine System. All Idlers replaced already.