General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

High Mileage LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default High Mileage LS1

I have a 99 Z28 of which I'm daily driving, the car has about 182k miles and my commute is approximately 40ish miles round trip 70% street 30% highway.

Asside from general maintenance the motor itself is still running like it rolled of the factory floor. There are no knock, no pings no squeals asside from my serpentine belt issue posted in another thread. It doesnt even have the infamous piston slap. The Transmission sometimes doesn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd but this is very very rare and it has never been rebuilt and this has lasted much longer than an average A4. When I bought it, it had a rear main seal leak but I've rectified that. It currently still does have oil leaking from the oil pan gasket, and front valley cover.

I know the inevitable is coming though, eventually it WILL have to give up the ghost... although I don't know when. I'm hoping to atleast get another 50k out of it but all bets are off.

I know early model LS1's have issues with the oil pump. Primarily I thought those were only the 98's but I found out the 99's also have the issue. I am just hypothetically running scenerios through my head.. If the oil pump does go, considering the front cover has to be removed / likewise the timing chain and oil pan must partially be removed... would it be worthwhile to install a new oil pump on a motor with this many miles? or just rebuild the engine?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what the oil pump takes with it when it goes out. Oil pump replacement is much easier than a rebuild.

If you get lucky and just replace the pump...get a new timing chain too. Ive broken a stock ls1 chain and it was with less than 500hp. Cost me a whole new top end of the motor.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe do a small cam and the oil pump at the same time?
Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides the oil pump, LS2 chain and sprockets, I would also do an updated LS2 chain damper, and while the pan is down anyway (for your gasket replacement) do yourself a favor and replace (or at least THOROUGHLY CLEAN OUT your pickup tube and screen, and the whole pan for that matter if it is fully dropped.

I personally am also going to do an Improved Racing oil pan baffle/windage tray, and ARP, or Katech rod bolts when my pan is down, but unless you plan on autocrossing/road racing your A4 car (DOUBTFUL), you do not need this item.

Of course a new front seal and front cover gasket go on without saying.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If the oil pressure is good I'd just leave it alone and drive it. My stock 98 motor had 225k on it and was running fine when it was pulled and I daily drove it for a year with no issues. Just change the oil regularly and you'll get a lot more miles out of it.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mjs1012
If the oil pressure is good I'd just leave it alone and drive it. My stock 98 motor had 225k on it and was running fine when it was pulled and I daily drove it for a year with no issues. Just change the oil regularly and you'll get a lot more miles out of it.
Yeah, my pressure is fine, no issues there. Will I get warnings before an oil pump fails? or will I be driving and suddenly lose all pressure and pop the motor?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

1999 here with over 295K as of today. Stock everything... even the pump.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto nimrod.69 .... '99 Z28 approaching 300K miles with the stock oil pump and internal motor parts. Assuming the oil pressure gauge is somewhat accurate, it normally sits at 12 psi at idle and roughly 40 psi at speed. I do have a slight oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil pressure sensor. I've had to replace it once before .... I'm just waiting for all of this cold weather to let up before get in there to check it out. This car rocks!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billscamaros
Ditto nimrod.69 .... '99 Z28 approaching 300K miles with the stock oil pump and internal motor parts. Assuming the oil pressure gauge is somewhat accurate, it normally sits at 12 psi at idle and roughly 40 psi at speed. I do have a slight oil leak that appears to be coming from the oil pressure sensor. I've had to replace it once before .... I'm just waiting for all of this cold weather to let up before get in there to check it out. This car rocks!
if your oil pressure sensor is leaking, it may not be reading correctly.

mine was reading about 20psi low when it was leaking and before I replaced it.

12psi is pretty low at idle...but with 300K miles Im sure rings and bearings aren't as tight as they once were.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:57 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, and I'm over here complaining about my car having 113k lol.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just save money and when the time comes then replace it. The tranny or something else can go out before so saving is my suggestion

Quick Reply: High Mileage LS1