General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil pressure gauge..engine seized?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure gauge..engine seized?

Hoping somebody can shed some light, good or bad news. Here is what happened.

Last night got home and the oil pressure gauge was bouncing around on the low end of the gauge by the red, "check gauges" light came on.

Engine sounds normal and runs fine. Lots of oil on the dipstick.

Today, fired it up, the gauge did not move off of 0. Check gauges light on as well as "service engine soon" light on.

Mechanic friend comes over and listens to the engine, not ticking or any noise suggesting oil starvation.

Car gets driven to shop and didn't make it, about 2 miles in the car just shuts off.

Engine has 40K miles. Just did an oil change last week.

While car is stopped I popped the hood, smoke was coming from my air intake and also from the crankcase once I took the oil cap off. Smelled of burned oil.

Is my motor done? Any ideas? I did have some metal filings on the oil drain plug when I did the oil change, happens every change. Metal filings.

And yes I drive it hard.

Time for a stroker?
Old 02-24-2015, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the oil pump shat the bed. Unfortunately not uncommon on LSx platforms. Some of those metal shavings probably jammed up the pickup and killed oil pressure.

Rebuild/Stroker time.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got the news, motor is seized.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:47 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sucks man. I hope you get back on the road soon...
Old 02-26-2015, 01:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
Hoping somebody can shed some light, good or bad news. Here is what happened.

Last night got home and the oil pressure gauge was bouncing around on the low end of the gauge by the red, "check gauges" light came on.

Engine sounds normal and runs fine. Lots of oil on the dipstick.

Today, fired it up, the gauge did not move off of 0. Check gauges light on as well as "service engine soon" light on.

Mechanic friend comes over and listens to the engine, not ticking or any noise suggesting oil starvation.

Car gets driven to shop and didn't make it, about 2 miles in the car just shuts off.

Engine has 40K miles. Just did an oil change last week.

While car is stopped I popped the hood, smoke was coming from my air intake and also from the crankcase once I took the oil cap off. Smelled of burned oil.

Is my motor done? Any ideas? I did have some metal filings on the oil drain plug when I did the oil change, happens every change. Metal filings.

And yes I drive it hard.

Time for a stroker?
You still drove it after not verifying oil pressure? The first thing I would've done was change sensor. If that wasn't the problem then move to oil pump. Now you have to spend unnecessary money.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of pressure was the motor making prior to having these issues? I agree with Warrior, I wouldn't of run or even driven the car without verifying oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and your mechanic friend should of also told you that.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheap Harbor Freight mechanical oil pressure gauge plugged into front oil galley access port with Autometer M16 male to 1/8" NPT adapter would have done wonders here.

Sucks it happened, but I guess you can build the motor up now.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge..engine seized?