General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need help on pcv system

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on pcv system

Hello everyone,this is my first post on an LS1 forum.

Recently, I inherited my sisters 2000 Camaro SS and as most of you can guess, the percentage of maintenance she did on the car was relatively non existent. The entire coolant system is full of brown dexcool sludge, god knows how long it's been since the last oil change, and I'm almost positive that the check engine light is about to have it's 4 year anniversary. As much as I'm aching to tend to the oil and coolant system, although it runs at the proper operating temp so it's not a major priority at the moment, it irked my soul when I drove the car the other day and it would lose power every time I came to a stop. It felt as if it had smokers lungs and was gasping for it's last breath of air. I grabbed my scanner and came up with a P0174 reading(system running too lean). I checked the air filter and sure enough, there sat an over oiled K&N filter. I've used K&N filters before without any problems and figured I would give it a good cleaning and a lighter oil coating. I cleaned the MAF sensor as well but the problem persisted until I came across what I think is surely the problem. The small rubber hose that connects the intake manifold to the pcv valve was cracked. My question is if this can be replaced with any kind of fuel hose or if it needs to be replaced with a special emissions/anti smog hose? I live in CA and I'm unsure of what I should do. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are quite a few posts here on "PCV" or "PCV leakage".... valves/hoses/mods. I'd do a search of the site and see what options are available and suit what you're looking for. If it were me I'd replace the hose/valve assembly with something reasonably stock. The F body OEM set up tends to lead to excessive oil getting into the air intake. One recommended upgrade is going to a smaller PCV valve or fixed orifice while still retaining the purpose of the system. Others do a full blown mod with breathers/catch cans to remove the oil misting problem from the air intake. If you just replace the PCV valve/hose with an open hose you'll change the amount of flow going back to the intake. And that could allow more oil into your air intake. Too little flow through the former PCV valve line will allow more contaminants to stay in your engine and cause corrosion. An improper flowing PCV can lead to engine seals eventually leaking.

Here's a starter search:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=28082855

Last edited by Firebrian; 03-11-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

For an immediate fix go buy some fuel hose. I had to do the same thing, didn't even need any clamps. I forget the size though. For a long term fix I am ditching the ls1 pcv and investing in an ls6 valley cover and a catch can also capping off the head cover lines for the old system. I'll find you the link to what I plan on doing in the next few months.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/1773092-ls1-ls6-pcv-swap-should-i-not.html#post18698247
Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Scrap the whole pcv system and make your own with some 3/8 rubber hose and brass fittings from the parts store. There several different ways to deal with the pcv system. This is my setup.

Here is few places to look and do some research and see what direction you want to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...t-options.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html
Old 03-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

Also it will be a good idea to Seafoam the car to clean everything out. Here is a good write up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

instead of seafoam in the intake use the seafoam for the fuel tank and go buy mopar combustion chamber cleaner from a dodge/chrysler/jeep dealership to clean the intake, much more efficient and less likely to suffer from any kind of liquid locking of the engine. but before you clean the intake get your pcv system fixed one way or another
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by josephholtinsurance
Also it will be a good idea to Seafoam the car to clean everything out. Here is a good write up.

not in my car ..........I'd pass on this if you love your car.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Staging Lane

I had good results using Seafoam. I guess it depends on if you are scared or not. I bought my car with 80k miles and did the whole treatment. I have always done lots of oil changes and I had never seen the guke that came out of my motor after I used the Seafoam. I had better throttle response and the car idled better than before. If the car has been neglected then I would really recommend a deep cleaning inside and out on that motor.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had good results using Seafoam. I guess it depends on if you are scared or not. I bought my car with 80k miles and did the whole treatment. I have always done lots of oil changes and I had never seen the guke that came out of my motor after I used the Seafoam. I had better throttle response and the car idled better than before. If the car has been neglected then I would really recommend a deep cleaning inside and out on that motor.
Its not just that it has the potential to hydrolock your cylinders but seafoam, being a liquid, is only going to clean the bottom of your intake runners because its too dense and is just going to pool until it evaporates the next time you run the engine. MCCC is an expanding foam, therefore it will clean the entire intake, top bottom and sides. It also has the other advantage of being extremely compressible all but removing chances of hydrolock. Personally the only place I put seafoam is in a full tank of gas. Once I use the entire tank I immediately change the fuel filter to get rid of all the gunk its loosened up.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Aw ****....here we go again.

DO NOT SEA FOAM YOUR ENGINE.......nuff said.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The smoke you see is just the Sea Foam that has pooled in the bottom of the intake.......the front 6 runners get ZERO Sea Foam, and the front 6 cylinders and psitons get ZERO Sea Foam. But your rear two runners and cylinders are probably sparkling clean.
Fluid being poured into the rear of the intake via the brake booster line CANNOT fight against the rush of incoming air from the THROTTLE BODY. Ain't no way......

Use a FOAMING product and introduce the foam via the FRONT vacuum port on the intake so the foam flows along with the stream of incoming air.....then you will dispurse it throughout the intake and its runners.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Thank you to everyone for your input. Really appreciate the help. I decided to just go with the quick fix for now and I replaced the hose with some 3/8 fuel hose for now. Luckily it worked and the idle is much more smooth and has stopped surging and losing power when I come to a stop. I cleared the SES light but unfortunately it came back on the next day only to come up with a P0420 code. Long story short it looks like I'll be having my hands full with this car but I guess that's the beauty behind an ls1, wouldn't have it any other way.

Quick Reply: Need help on pcv system