General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Cruise control debacle....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cruise control debacle....

I am looking for any help here regarding trying to get cruise working in my 2002 z28. My car was not originally equipped with cruise control. However when we bought this car brand new as part of the deal, the dealership agreed to install cruise control. Well after a couple years it was discovered that they contracted the job out to some terrible shop and a non GM cruise was installed along with a hole drilled into my firewall and wires ran through. However they did use a GM cruise control/blinker/wiper stem.

So about 5 years ago I finally got tired of looking at the ugly aftermarket cruise control module and yanked it out. Well fast forward 5 years and I am wanting to install a GM cruise control unit and make it as factory as possible.

I ordered the module and installed it in the factory location. Harness was plugged in. Go under the dash and make sure I have a brake and clutch switch and both are adjusted to where they need to be. Everything looks good to me but I still have no cruise. I have checked all the normal stuff (3rd brake light works, clutch and brake sensors good, fuse is good).

Now I did notice a plug hanging out of the bottom of my steering column with red, white, blue and green wires going into it. I tracked it down and sure enough it goes into the cruise/wiper/blinker stem. Is this plug for cruise control? If so where the hell does it go?! I can find no plug that it goes into and I have spent literally hours under the dash.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
Is this plug for cruise control?
I believe so, but I don't recall where it plugs in to.

Another place to check is where the control stick goes in to the column. If you pop off the plastic cover around the stick, you should see where the cruise wires (from the stick controls) plug in to the column. I expect that the same wires lead to the base of the column where you see the other connector. When I replaced my stick, I just had to plug in to the column under that plastic cover.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

I'm trying to attach a picture of what i'm referring to. One picture is of the plug that is just randomly hanging from my column. The other is what I see when i take off that plastic cover near the stem. The black wire you see is what is sticking out of the bottom of the shaft.

As you can tell.....the plug is not linear like most of the other plug harnesses that are attached to/plugged in on the column. I have gone so far as to unbolt the column and let it hang so I could see on top of it. So far no luck........
Attached Thumbnails Cruise control debacle....-img_1134.jpg   Cruise control debacle....-img_1137-1-.jpg  

Last edited by LS1powerhouse02; 03-18-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 AM
Save the manuals!

The wires in behind the cover, inside the column look stock.

The connector at the base of the steering column is not stock. Could that have been plugged in to the aftermarket system?
Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
The wires in behind the cover, inside the column look stock.

The connector at the base of the steering column is not stock. Could that have been plugged in to the aftermarket system?
It's very possible. Do you think I need to get a new cruise control stem that is made for my year car? It could be possible that the stem in there now is a "universal" part.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Where does your cruise control stalk plug in to? I have 4 small wires in a male connector just sitting there not plugged into anything. (I can see this when I pull that cover off the column). If I got the right cruise control stalk I would imagine it plugs in right there and my problem would be solved.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Save the manuals!

I think the stalk plugs in to that connector there with the pink, blue, white, and black wire. (I'm not 100% sure.) From your picture, it looks like its unused?

I assumed your aftermarket system used the regular stalk. Was that not the case?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I think the stalk plugs in to that connector there with the pink, blue, white, and black wire. (I'm not 100% sure.) From your picture, it looks like its unused?

I assumed your aftermarket system used the regular stalk. Was that not the case?
My car came with a stalk without cruise. I guess when they installed the aftermarket cruise stalk it was from a different vehicle. So they just ran the wire down the steering column and rigged up a plug to work.

I have a brand new GM cruise stalk coming for this year car. I am 99% sure this will solve it all. I appreciate the help!
Old 03-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

^ Coolness.

I don't want to make you paranoid - but you should be careful. Removing the old stalk can destroy your wiper switch. (The part that the stalk snaps in to.) I destroyed my switch the last time I changed my stalk. Fortunately, I was doing that because my wiper switch was bad and I was already changing it. (Replacing the wiper switch is NOT fun - and the part is expensive.)

When you get your new stalk, you'll see how it snap fits in to the wiper switch. When you pull the old one out, you may want to take precautions to be careful. Make sure it isn't too cold, making the plastic in the switch brittle. Spray some dry silicone lube down the stalk to help it slide out and lube the snap mechanism. (You don't want to use WD-40 or another penetrating oil for this as it will dissolve all the other good grease in your column.)

Quick Reply: Cruise control debacle....