General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

trans am headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans am headlight problem

I have read several threads but could not find anything solid. I have a 2002 Trans Am and the drivers side headlight will not raise or lower. I was thinking it was the motor, so I replaced the motor, it still does not work. I was then thinking the connector since it looked a little corroded, i cleaned it best I could. But both the regular light and bright light still come on, so if it was the connector wouldn't the lights also not come on. Could it be the headlight control module, or if it was that would both lights not work? Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Also the motor does not make any kind of noises or anything.

Thanks for any help,
Brandon
Old 03-21-2015, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

check your fuses for the headlamp doors
Old 03-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Omega Doom
check your fuses for the headlamp doors

thanks, I tried that today. I switched the drivers and passenger side fuse just to be sure, still did not work. I also switched the headlight control module with one on another car to see if that was the problem, it still did not work. Now I am thinking that it must be the connector, unless anyone else has any other ideas.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon1221
I was then thinking the connector since it looked a little corroded, i cleaned it best I could. But both the regular light and bright light still come on, so if it was the connector wouldn't the lights also not come on.
This sounds like a connector problem. The connector should have 6 wires if I remember correctly. Two for the high beam lamp, two for the low beam lamp, and a red and black for the headlight motor. This sounds like you aren't getting contact across the two lights for the headlight motor.

I'd try putting 12 V to the headlight motor wires to make sure it works. If so, try cleaning the connector contacts more. Just a little bit of corrosion in the wrong place will cause a problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
This sounds like a connector problem. The connector should have 6 wires if I remember correctly. Two for the high beam lamp, two for the low beam lamp, and a red and black for the headlight motor. This sounds like you aren't getting contact across the two lights for the headlight motor.

I'd try putting 12 V to the headlight motor wires to make sure it works. If so, try cleaning the connector contacts more. Just a little bit of corrosion in the wrong place will cause a problem.
thanks, I will try it.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Launching!

It was the connector, I spliced in a new connector and it works great. Found a new GM connector on ebay for $29 shipped.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandon1221
It was the connector, I spliced in a new connector and it works great. Found a new GM connector on ebay for $29 shipped.
Buy some dielectric grease and put a generous amount inside the connecter and plug it back in. Those rotten things get water in them and corrode badly. That's why it probably broke in the first place. It did for both of mine.

Quick Reply: trans am headlight problem