General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

sudden low idle w/exhaust smell at stops ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sudden low idle w/exhaust smell at stops ...

other than what i'm about to explain the car runs seemingly perfect - no loss of power, no overheating, oil pressure is fine. about 3 weeks ago the car was running as if it had a vacuum leak & did have check engine light on - yes there was a leak, fixed it & ran instantly better/regular. it did throw a bad driver side cat code at the same time, which came back about 3 days later, checked code again & that was the only code that was still present. so even with the bad cat code the car ran perfect until yesterday - it now idles low at stops only & occasionally idles really low & gives off a quick exhaust smell. no dying & not idling low enough to want to die, but definitely suddenly lower than usual in conjunction with the exhaust smell problem stated above ... any ideas as to what may be causing it? i am going to start with new o2 sensors, plugs & wires & getting the cat replaced. hopefully that resolves the issue, but may it be something besides those 3 things that would cause that to happen?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What was the code? Was it the precat sensor or postcat? Pre will effect the way it runs, post won't.

My second guess would be cleaning the IAC.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok well codes say bad driver side cat & downstream o2 sensor. was throwing other codes but exhaust shop (reputable one where i've known owner for a few years) said new cat & o2 sensor should clear most if not all of the other ones ... so we'll see what happens i'll keep updated for other readers. --- & after initially posting i got worse performance & the flashing ses light , which exhaust shop was very familiar with also.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkWiDsTyLe321
ok well codes say bad driver side cat & downstream o2 sensor. was throwing other codes but exhaust shop (reputable one where i've known owner for a few years) said new cat & o2 sensor should clear most if not all of the other ones ... so we'll see what happens i'll keep updated for other readers. --- & after initially posting i got worse performance & the flashing ses light , which exhaust shop was very familiar with also.
Flashing ses light is a misfire. Not a good thing.

Last edited by celtsean; 03-26-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: sudden low idle w/exhaust smell at stops ...