General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattling noise undercar, Window wont stop when rolled up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise undercar, Window wont stop when rolled up

Ok so I have replaced all the accessories, checked with belt off, rev'd the car and still have no idea where the rattling is coming from.

Still present with belt off, doesnt change when reving, doesnt sound like it is coming from the motor. Tends to go away once warmed up. One day after nothing was changed on the car it started doing it. now its almost everytime i start it up.

video of the rattle

Also my window driverside when i hold down the roll up switch will bang up over and over where before it would roll up all the way and stop. passenger still works right. Any ideas?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by silent_soul
Ok so I have replaced all the accessories, checked with belt off, rev'd the car and still have no idea where the rattling is coming from.
Sounds like a bearing that is failing to me. It could be on anything: water pump, AC clutch, alternator, pulley, etc. I'd start with a mechanics stethoscope to track it down to the rotating part that is offending.

You could also probably let it go a while until the noise happens 100% of the time and isn't intermittent.

Originally Posted by silent_soul
Also my window driverside when i hold down the roll up switch will bang up over and over where before it would roll up all the way and stop. passenger still works right. Any ideas?
Don't use the window until you fix this. Bad things can happen to your regulator. It sounds like someone changed the window motor and used bolts to connect it to the regulator. When those bolts come loose, the motor gear will knock against the regulator gear rack. Lock-tite or nylock nuts should solve the problem.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise undercar, Window wont stop when rolled up