General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to Find a Gatorback Serpentine or AC Belt Locally

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to Find a Gatorback Serpentine or AC Belt Locally

Ok - so I unexpectedly needed a new belt - and the last one I'd bought was a dayco but it was squeaking for me 3 months in. ALL I've heard/read from everyone in the forums is how awesome their Gatorback belts are - so of course I'm dying to try one. Here's the perfect opportunity - but where do you find the buggers?

Online is great - I love when the mail person brings me presents - but I needed it right then. Called all the local guys - nope - quit carrying them a couple years ago. Tried the Goodyear Auto Centers - nope we only have tires. (Then why aren't you Goodyear TIRE Centers - grumble)

So finally I called Goodyear corporate to ask where in my area might they be distributing these Oh-so-hard-to find belts. Well here's why I couldn't find them - Goodyear isn't the one putting those out anymore. They're still labeled as Goodyear - but they're actually coming from a company called Veyance Technologies. (someone needs to call their marketing people about changing that packaging to reflect where they're coming from and a proper brand awareness campaign- but anyways)

So - a quick google search took me to the manufacturer's website - http://www.veyance.com/ - and right in the middle of the home page they have a link to "Find Aftermarket Parts Supplier". I checked all the boxes for anywhere that might have a belt that fits - car parts, snowmobile belts, lawnmower belts - the works. Gave it my zip code and it came back with a vendor about an hour away from me. I called them up - and it turned out that they actually had another location much closer to me that just wasn't listed in that directory. Score! 30 minutes & $41 later I had both the serpentine and A/C gatorback belts in my hand.

Hope it helps someone that needs one NOW.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

If you've been having that may problems cause of a belt you might want to check your pulleys for free play, and bearings too. I know Gaterbacks are suppose to be the best, but honestly I've put a Dayco belt on mine and it's been silent. Some belts might vary in length by a few mm, or so but with a properly working tensioner it should not matter, as long as the length is close, and the rib count is the same.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by McGinnis
If you've been having that may problems cause of a belt you might want to check your pulleys for free play, and bearings too. I know Gaterbacks are suppose to be the best, but honestly I've put a Dayco belt on mine and it's been silent. Some belts might vary in length by a few mm, or so but with a properly working tensioner it should not matter, as long as the length is close, and the rib count is the same.
Thanks for the suggestion! I was on a squeak seek & destroy mission - actually did just replace both tensioners (one the full assembly) and both idler pulleys. That's how we discovered that the belts were squeaking with the crayon test. My A/C belt had been on there a few years and had some pitting to it - which I believe means it has been run over hot spots and expanded a bit. That one was the motivator. It's sister the serpentine belt was only 3 months old - and even when it was suggested, I was oh so certain it wasn't a problem. That is until we hit it with the crayon and shut down the squeak. Then that one was marked for replacement as well.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

I get my gatorback belts from rock auto but that wouldnt be local.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Goodyear belts and hoses division split off from Goodyear Tire many years ago, hence why the Goodyear stores only seem to carry Dayco, or maybe Gates belts and hoses now.

IF none of your local. indie, NOT national chain parts stores don't carry them, then your only hope is either Rock Auto, Summit Racing, or amazon.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If you are in the southeast, The Parts House sells gatorbacks. I work for their headquarters in Jacksonville and we carry a **** ton of them. We normally just deliver to dealerships and shops but I am pretty sure if you call the local warehouse you can get a customer pickup.

Quick Reply: How to Find a Gatorback Serpentine or AC Belt Locally