General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant getting into Power Steering Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant getting into Power Steering Fluid?

My power steering fluid keeps getting milky looking really fast. Is it possible that coolant from the power steering cooler is getting into it?

Would it be ok to just bypass the cooler (make a U with the hose) to see if it stops?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea most likely it's the cooler. You can bypass the cooler by connecting the PS hoses and buying a upper radiator hose without the PS cooler.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you have a bad cooler, you will also have P/S fluid in your coolant. Have you checked your coolant dipstick?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

My coolant looks completely clean....I've noticed that when i turn the wheel a lot when not moving it drags my idle down some. Maybe the pump is going out?
Old 04-17-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

The cooler is starting to fail, Coolant pressure is higher than the return in the steering system. So you are just getting a little coolant pushed into the oil, Once it fails completely the oil in the cooler will be in the coolant too. I'd disconnect it now before that happens. Its the 1st thing I do to these cars, you don't need it unless you race.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have my power steering cooler for sale for like $40 in the for sale section if you need one. I pulled it off years ago when I did manual steering. Its got pretty low miles on it. message me.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You can actually install an 'real' cooler without much effort. Made a write up if you'd be interested in that:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...er-delete.html
Old 04-17-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Most don't realize the "cooler" is actually a heater also, same with the "transmission cooler" It also heats the oil up so it gets to operating temp quicker.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Most don't realize the "cooler" is actually a heater also, same with the "transmission cooler" It also heats the oil up so it gets to operating temp quicker.
This is not the case. The stock PS cooler is hooked up to the radiator outlet, which is much less than the thermostat temperature at the radiator inlet.

The cooler is starting to fail, Coolant pressure is higher than the return in the steering system.
Not at all times. This may be true once the engine is up to temperature but the coolant pressure is lower at startup before the thermostat opens up. I have not yet seen a case of a failed P/S cooler without oil in the coolant.

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
My coolant looks completely clean....I've noticed that when i turn the wheel a lot when not moving it drags my idle down some. Maybe the pump is going out?
You could just have air in there from a bad pump.

I think we have pretty good consensus in the community that the stock cooler should either be replaced with an aftermarket option or deleted entirely (good part or bad part) - so there's no harm there. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

You may address the cooler first, see if you still have milky fluid and then go for the pump from there.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

<comment deleted> Coolant pressure rises quickly after the engine is started. I can't even begin to post back, <comment deleted>

<comment deleted>

Last edited by wssix99; 04-17-2015 at 06:26 PM. Reason: inapprorpaite comments
Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I...think he's a mod.

Last edited by wssix99; 04-17-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I...think he's a mod.
Some people start the weekend early...

Coolant pressure rises quickly after the engine is started.
I'm happy to extend this thread in to some technical discussion, when you are ready. If you want to talk about the PS cooler/heater consipracy, I guess we can do that but people have taken real measurements with real temperatures (posting in the Power Steering Cooler thread) and I think we put that to bed a long time ago.

If you are saying that the coolant pressures are greater than the P/S rack pressures at all times and that P/S fluid can never flow backwards in to the coolant system, show us some information or data.

Coolant pressures do rise quickly, but they rise they don't rise instantaneously like the power steering system does. Guidance to GM Techs lists oil in the coolant as a symptom and many of us have seen it happen when our coolers failed. So, if you have evidence to the contrary, it would be good to see that also.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys!

I believe I'm just going to replace the cooler with a normal radiator hose and bypass it.

I don't think I have any needs for a PS cooler.

Can I just cap off the PS oil lines or do I need to run a hose from the inlet to the outlet?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And....when the factory PS fluid cooler springs a tiny tiny leak, which they almost ALL do at some point, when you shut the engine off and it cools down over time it will suck PS fluid out of the cooler......into the cooling system. Just like coolant is supposed to get sucked back into the cooling system from the overflow tank......when things cool down. So PS fluid doesn't necessarily have to get pushed into the cooling system while you are driving around......

98ws6blk
Put a cooler on it....cooler temps (((as opposed to VERY HOT temps))) perform better and they will make your pump and its rubber hoses and plastic reservoir tank last longer. Heat kills everything thats not metal........over time.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by 98ws6blk
Thanks guys!

I believe I'm just going to replace the cooler with a normal radiator hose and bypass it.

I don't think I have any needs for a PS cooler.

Can I just cap off the PS oil lines or do I need to run a hose from the inlet to the outlet?
This was my conclusion as well, and what I did with my '02 car after some comprehensive temperature testing in my climate under my normal driving conditions. My '98 didn't come with a cooler (only SS/WS6/Firehawk had those in the early years), and it's been fine for 17 years, so that was another factor in my decision. Yes, you can just cap the lines in the cooler until you replace the radiator hose with a non-PS cooler version.

Also, if you are the type who changes your PS fluid with some amount of regularity, then you have even less need for a cooler. Higher temps have a long term affect on fluid life, but if the fluid is kept fresh then this becomes less of a concern.

Considering you live in the south, cooling might be more of a concern for you. It just doesn't get hot enough for long enough up here to worry much about this unless you use the car in such a way as to put a lot of stress on the steering system (such as road racing, etc.)
Old 04-19-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's mostly a weekend car so I think it'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Coolant getting into Power Steering Fluid?