General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn one power steering pump pressure choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default turn one power steering pump pressure choice

since money is no good unless you spend it, i think i'm going to mail order a turn one power steering pump. it's for a 2002 ss that's summer daily driver. any advice on the pressure choice other than the standard 1500 psi?
thanks,

http://www.turnone-steering.com/#!on...egory=12405744
Old 04-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did a bunch of research when I had to replace my PS pump (I went with a stock AC Delco pump). If you're a daily driver with lots of around town / low speed turning you'll probably want the stock rebuild option from turn one. Anything with lower pressure and you could notice increased steering effort for low speed turning. Since turn one can rebuild to anything you want I'd give them a call and they can point you in the right direction for your specific needs.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They did not even ask me, nor offer ANY options as far as system pressure goes, when I ordered mine about 3 years ago.

I am guessing they just gave me the 1500 psi pump since I did tell them I autocross/road race the Z28??
Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine last year I didn't get a choice on pressure either.

zfastss makes a good point though, low rpm turning with a Turn One pump is pretty tough...parking lots are a bit of a pain in the *** for me. Good workout though

Last edited by s7ven; 04-27-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

looking it up in my 2002 service manual, for LS1 it states 2.7 to 3.1 gallons per minute and 1200/1300 psi for pressure for the power steering pump.
For v6 losers the pressure is the same but gpm is 2.4 to 2.8.

so you guys are saying that you ordered a turn one pump and did not request a different pressure setting than the default given, and you have difficulty in low rpm turning?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
looking it up in my 2002 service manual, for LS1 it states 2.7 to 3.1 gallons per minute and 1200/1300 psi for pressure for the power steering pump.
For v6 losers the pressure is the same but gpm is 2.4 to 2.8.

so you guys are saying that you ordered a turn one pump and did not request a different pressure setting than the default given, and you have difficulty in low rpm turning?
Yes and yes, I just ordered online through their website and took the default options which would be 1500 PSI. I wouldn't be turned off by the low RPM turning too much, it's a little tough but not horrible. I think it was way overkill for my application since my car is purely street driven.

Last edited by s7ven; 04-27-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

since money is no good unless you spend it, i think i'm going to mail order a turn one power steering pump. it's for a 2002 ss that's summer daily driver. any advice on the pressure choice other than the standard 1500 psi?
thanks,

http://www.turnone-steering.com/#!on...egory=12405744
Call them up and you can get whatever you want. I'm sure they will also provide you with great advice.

I sent them my pump and they did a stock (kept original pressure) rebuild for me. (I do daily city driving and wanted to keep the extra stock assist that you loose with the racing version.) The other plus is that they put their pulley on for me (this really needs to be done in their shop) and the pump is now really easy to move out of the way for alternator changes, etc.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by zfastss
I just did a bunch of research when I had to replace my PS pump (I went with a stock AC Delco pump). If you're a daily driver with lots of around town / low speed turning you'll probably want the stock rebuild option from turn one. Anything with lower pressure and you could notice increased steering effort for low speed turning. Since turn one can rebuild to anything you want I'd give them a call and they can point you in the right direction for your specific needs.
Originally Posted by s7ven
When I bought mine last year I didn't get a choice on pressure either.

zfastss makes a good point though, low rpm turning with a Turn One pump is pretty tough...parking lots are a bit of a pain in the *** for me. Good workout though
I havent noticed any difference really between my old stock pump and the turn one. I say go for the turn one, the pulley alone is awesome. once you're driving the turn one provides a better feel of the road as well imo
Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

now i'm a little confused.

the oem pump is 1200-1300 psi according to my gm service manual. the turn one pump website says theirs is 1500 psi unless something different is requested.
I would think that the default turn one pump @ 1500 psi would be stronger and the wheel would be easier to turn at idle rpm? This would be the turn one pump using my existing oem pulley taken off my oem pump.

so, is the turn one pulley a different size then (smaller?) compared to the oem pulley size? and if so, does it cause you to use a different serpentine belt size?

i know i said money is no good unless spent, but that was thinking i didn't need to spend an extra $80 for the turn one pulley... which is also on back order currently.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

now i'm a little confused.

the oem pump is 1200-1300 psi according to my gm service manual. the turn one pump website says theirs is 1500 psi unless something different is requested.
I would think that the default turn one pump @ 1500 psi would be stronger and the wheel would be easier to turn at idle rpm? This would be the turn one pump using my existing oem pulley taken off my oem pump.
I don't know about the exact pressures, but the TurnOne modified pump is supposed to deliver lower pressure, saving more power for the engine and not heating the P/S fluid up as much. This should give one more manual effort in the steering:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/060...-pump-install/

^ BTW - This article is old and I believe they are referencing the old LT1.

so, is the turn one pulley a different size then (smaller?) compared to the oem pulley size? and if so, does it cause you to use a different serpentine belt size?
Same size. Just all metal, more durable, and has holes in the face, so the pump can be installed without removing the pulley. (TurnOne also keys the pulley in to the pump shaft vs. the stock plastic one, which is friction fit.)

If you couple the ease of installation with the fact that the stock pulley doesn't fit normal pullers very well, the $80 is money well spent if you are going to keep the car a long time. IMO - It became "worth it" the minute I needed to unbolt the thing to move it out of the way for Alternator surgery.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Whichever pressure they gave me, it is NOT at all hard to turn in parking lot/low speed turn scenarios (I almost wish it were, and the pressure was even lower yet to make ABSOLUTELY SURE the thing will NEVER EVER boil over in high speed, hot summer, road racing use, and to give even better yet road feel).

BTW; besides the pulley being keyed, it is also racing wire tied at the end to make sure that it does not come flying off in case it ever does loosen on the shaft IF you have them install it (some racing orgs actually require this to be done).
Old 04-28-2015, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

exactly.... I only noticed the difference at first because i was looking for it. had someone not told me i never would have known
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

ordered the pump with pulley.
if it don't work as expected....
Attached Thumbnails turn one power steering pump pressure choice-jj2.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Must watch viewing for this thread:

Old 12-21-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

Their website says they build standard at 1200-1300psi.

Has that changed?

Tony

Quick Reply: turn one power steering pump pressure choice