General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Switch Lever Won't Click Back After Turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Switch Lever Won't Click Back After Turning

As the post clearly states, every time I make a right turn and I put on my signal indicator up for making a right turn. It won't click back to it's normal spot after making the turn. When I make a left turn it clicks back normally like it's supposed too and I don't know why it's been giving me this problem. It's annoying that I have to manually move the lever into the correct position after making a turn. Has anybody ever had this problem before? What is mainly the issues or symptoms and what can be done to resolve this issue? '99 Trans A4

Thank You
Old 04-29-2015, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

Most likely an issue with the turn signal switch or cancel cam. You'll have to dig into the column a little to see what the problem is.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually one of the cancelling springs are broken. Very inexpensive to buy. Have to remove steering wheel and compress lockplate to replace springs.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Usually one of the cancelling springs are broken. Very inexpensive to buy. Have to remove steering wheel and compress lockplate to replace springs.
Yep. These are sold in the Help! section of any parts store. The new springs will probably run $1.99, but getting to them in the car is a little... fun.

Step 19 and 20 in this thread show the springs: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
Old 04-30-2015, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have to fix my right turn cancel feature as well.

I know mine broke when I had to hold the stalk in the right turn position against it's 'will' when making a quick right/right turn locally where cops hang out ready to bust people for not using their turn signals. (I HATE them for making me break my return so as not to get a ticket and insurance increase! )
Old 04-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I have to fix my right turn cancel feature as well.

I know mine broke when I had to hold the stalk in the right turn position against it's 'will' when making a quick right/right turn locally where cops hang out ready to bust people for not using their turn signals. (I HATE them for making me break my return so as not to get a ticket and insurance increase! )
You can always use hand signals, instead.

Quick Reply: Turn Switch Lever Won't Click Back After Turning