General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P/S pump relocated?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P/S pump relocated?...

Started having steering issues a few weeks ago, just got the new pump fed-ex today, now the fun begins. I keep reading about the P/S pump leaking/ruining the alternator, well in this scenario, that isn't a problem for me, since my pump isn't in it's original spot, it's actually located in front next to the fuse box. I've looked for other posts regarding relocation of P/S pump, but haven't found any. So has anyone else done this? If so where did yours go? What was your reason for relocating? Pump&pressure line are getting replaced, cooler is getting deleted, aftermarket P/S cooler being installed,& coolant getting flushed(possible stock cooler fail?) Is this going to pose any other issues for me when I replace pump as far as routing for hoses? Any special tips/tricks to make this list of "to-do's" easier?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post any pics of this? Im curious as to how its mounted.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Teching In

I'll post pics in a few minutes. Only had the car for about 9 mths, 6 being winter months, so now getting ready for summer, not exactly sure what all car has on it, but I do know it has non-stock headers & ?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Old 05-10-2015, 01:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by CamoSS412
I keep reading about the P/S pump leaking/ruining the alternator
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. These rumors are from unscientific conjecture and the vast majority of the people claiming that fluid ruined their alternator have problems after 70K miles... when the thing would fail anyway.

The alternator windings and electronics are sealed in plastic to protect them from road dirt and oils. P/S fluid is not a problem.

My last alternator took an absolute bath in the stuff when my entire tank dumped on it during a pump replacement. 60K miles later, there are still no issues.

Unless you have some functional benefit to doing a relocation, I'm not sure it's money well spent - particularly if you are adapting equipment (tanks and pumps) that were designed to be mated together. Unless you go to an entirely different type of pump and tank, you will probably have a lot of opportunities for leaks.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So someone relocated just the reservoir it looks like...

Quick Reply: P/S pump relocated?...