General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

while i am changing valley cover. what can i do to clean intake and injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default while i am changing valley cover. what can i do to clean intake and injectors?

I will be removing the pcv system and replacing the ls1 valley cover with the ls6 one to compensate. My question is what all can I clean while I have the intake out. Any specific crevices I should check? Can I just dunk the intake in a intake cleaning solution or should I just spray in cleaner and dry with air. As for the injectors, I have new injector seals but how should I go about cleaning those?

If there's anything else I can clean while I'm in there please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by jaxcam02; 05-19-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I will be removing the pcv system and replacing the ls1 valley cover with the ls6 one to compensate. My question is what all can I clean while I have the intake out. Any specific crevices I should check? Can I just dunk the intake in a intake cleaning solution or should I just spray in cleaner and dry with air. As for the injectors, I have new injector seals but how should I go about cleaning those?

If there's anything else I can clean while I'm in there please let me know. Thanks.
Submerge the intake in a drum with 80% Formula 1 degreaser (Home Depot). Let it soak for 2-3 hours then use a bendable toilet bowl brush to clean the runners out......then rinse it with hose water real good. Fill the intake up, shake it, fill it, shake it....dump it out. Then submerge it again for a few hours. Then toilet brush again. Rinse. Do it until its slick clean inside.......
Let it dry.......install.

(get a good toilet brush that will not shed any bristles)

Injectors are best cleaned in my opinion.....every 3 months by pouring a full can of SeaFoam into 1/8 tank of gas and run it out. My injectors are 13 years old and clean as a whistle.......

Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Submerge the intake in a drum with 80% Formula 1 degreaser (Home Depot). Let it soak for 2-3 hours then use a bendable toilet bowl brush to clean the runners out......then rinse it with hose water real good. Fill the intake up, shake it, fill it, shake it....dump it out. Then submerge it again for a few hours. Then toilet brush again. Rinse. Do it until its slick clean inside.......
Let it dry.......install.

(get a good toilet brush that will not shed any bristles)

Injectors are best cleaned in my opinion.....every 3 months by pouring a full can of SeaFoam into 1/8 tank of gas and run it out. My injectors are 13 years old and clean as a whistle.......

You don't mind running the fuel that low on the pump when you seafoam? I'm just curious. Not trying to hijack a thread either. How low do you let it get when you run it out before you throw some fuel in there?
Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by celtsean
You don't mind running the fuel that low on the pump when you seafoam? I'm just curious. Not trying to hijack a thread either. How low do you let it get when you run it out before you throw some fuel in there?
Well, you have to know your car and know how low the gauge can get before you need gas.

Gas is pretty strong stuff.....SeaFoam isn't a whole lot stronger as a chemical. But SeaFoam has the ability to clean much better than just gas. So I pour a full can into the lowest tank of gas I can. Lower the better......

Some people pour a full can of SeaFoam into a half or full tank of gas.....that is a complete waste as it gets lost in that much gas.

So 1/8 tank is a good start......but go lower if you know your car won't run out on you....

Old 05-20-2015, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Well, you have to know your car and know how low the gauge can get before you need gas.

Gas is pretty strong stuff.....SeaFoam isn't a whole lot stronger as a chemical. But SeaFoam has the ability to clean much better than just gas. So I pour a full can into the lowest tank of gas I can. Lower the better......

Some people pour a full can of SeaFoam into a half or full tank of gas.....that is a complete waste as it gets lost in that much gas.

So 1/8 tank is a good start......but go lower if you know your car won't run out on you....

You don't worry about it be too hard on the fuel pump with it being that low? I guess I just fear having to replace one. You think it's ok for just that short period of time to run the seafoam out?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Kreen (from Kano Labs in Tennasty) is actually better than Seafoam (and blasts the carbon out of the chamber/off the top ring pack as well), but, it IS harder to come by (mail order only, and they will NOT ship to the Republik Of Kalifornia), and more costly than the on the shelf at wal Mart Seafoam.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:26 PM
Banned

You don't worry about it be too hard on the fuel pump with it being that low? I guess I just fear having to replace one. You think it's ok for just that short period of time to run the seafoam out?
Worry about what being hard on the fuel pump...? SeaFoam....?

Like I mentioned......SeaFoam is not much different than gas as a chemical. They are both very strong. SeaFoam just has better cleaning ability.

So the lower the gas the better.....so the SeaFoam is less diluted while you are running the gas out.

I have been doing the SeaFoam in my gas tank for about 13 years....my fuel pump is fine. Ive never had a dirty fuel injector issue either......

I always have a can in the back of my car.....every 3 months I pour one in when my tank is real low and I remember to do it. Pour it in and drive away. Never pop the hood to do anything.....

Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Since the pump is made to be submerged in fuel I was always under the impression that running the tank low equals its doom that's all . I was told to always keep a little under a 1/4 tank at all times. Running the pump partially dry can make it hot and equals failure. I'm not talking about the seafoam. What you're saying makes sense. I'm just going on what I've always heard about all gm in the tank fuel pumps. On another note I just found out Ca doesn't allow mopar ccc. So I'm gonna have to order it on eBay. And possibly I'll also do the 1/8 tank seafoam injector cleaning. I just don't want to have to replace the pump. Paranoid? Maybe.

Last edited by celtsean; 05-22-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Banned

Since the pump is made to be submerged in fuel I was always under the impression that running the tank low equals its doom that's all . I was told to always keep a little under a 1/4 tank at all times. Running the pump partially dry can make it hot and equals failure. I'm not talking about the seafoam. What you're saying makes sense. I'm just going on what I've always heard about all gm in the tank fuel pumps. On another note I just found out Ca doesn't allow mopar ccc. So I'm gonna have to order it on eBay. And possibly I'll also do the 1/8 tank seafoam injector cleaning. I just don't want to have to replace the pump. Paranoid? Maybe.
13 years ago, before I installed my Racetronix fuel system along with my 427ci stroker engine......I probably ran out of gas 4-5 times with my stock fuel pump in there......there's nothing wrong with running a tank 100% dry. The pump will be fine unless you sit there and run it for no reason with it dry.

I always let my tank get right near the red Empty range before I get a new tank of gas. I like to clean it out and use all the gas I can before filling up again. Less chance for crap and crud to form if I run it all out each time. Every single tank of gas I run out goes way below 1/8th tank.

****I have a 1 gallon tank of gas I keep with me at all times.....LOL

Its a total myth about keeping 1/4 tank or more....it means nothing.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

13 years ago, before I installed my Racetronix fuel system along with my 427ci stroker engine......I probably ran out of gas 4-5 times with my stock fuel pump in there......there's nothing wrong with running a tank 100% dry. The pump will be fine unless you sit there and run it for no reason with it dry.

I always let my tank get right near the red Empty range before I get a new tank of gas. I like to clean it out and use all the gas I can before filling up again. Less chance for crap and crud to form if I run it all out each time. Every single tank of gas I run out goes way below 1/8th tank.

****I have a 1 gallon tank of gas I keep with me at all times.....LOL

Its a total myth about keeping 1/4 tank or more....it means nothing.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll probly run the seafoam through later today then since I'm right at 1/4 tank now. I wish I could just buy the damn mopar ccc here in ca. But these smog laws prevent that and a ton of other stuff too. I swear I've got carbon buildup causing some slight low rpm ping. I'll just have to order it and wait for that. I refuse to put the seafoam through the brake booster for that part of the cleaning. It's useless.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Banned

Good to know. Thanks for the info. I'll probly run the seafoam through later today then since I'm right at 1/4 tank now. I wish I could just buy the damn mopar ccc here in ca. But these smog laws prevent that and a ton of other stuff too. I swear I've got carbon buildup causing some slight low rpm ping. I'll just have to order it and wait for that. I refuse to put the seafoam through the brake booster for that part of the cleaning. It's useless.
Just get the MCCC off ebay......

Or if you have a Yamaha outboard boat motor location.....Yamaha Top End Cleaner is really good stuff too....

Old 05-22-2015, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Just get the MCCC off ebay......

Or if you have a Yamaha outboard boat motor location.....Yamaha Top End Cleaner is really good stuff too....

Good tip! Thanks. I just found the Yamaha ccc. Ah ha,a loophole in the Ca regime's oppression ! I'm going to pick it up in a few. It's foam and the same application as the mopar stuff right? Thanks ,I really appreciate the info.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Banned

Good tip! Thanks. I just found the Yamaha ccc. Ah ha,a loophole in the Ca regime's oppression ! I'm going to pick it up in a few. It's foam and the same application as the mopar stuff right? Thanks ,I really appreciate the info.
Yes....install it the same way.

Yea....California is run by Dems, 70 years......I can't figure out why the state is in a stranglehold....lol

Old 05-23-2015, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Wow, maybe it's in my head but I really don't think it is. It seems like that combustion chamber cleaner really gave me some lost power back. I could really feel it pull better. That stuff is amazing. Maybe an owner prior to me drove it like an old lady, I don't know.Plus I had it stored for almost three years at one point. But man at 98xxx miles, I'm telling you I gained something out of that. I'm sure of it. Thanks for the advice. And sorry to the op for the hijack.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:02 AM
Banned

Wow, maybe it's in my head but I really don't think it is. It seems like that combustion chamber cleaner really gave me some lost power back. I could really feel it pull better. That stuff is amazing. Maybe an owner prior to me drove it like an old lady, I don't know.Plus I had it stored for almost three years at one point. But man at 98xxx miles, I'm telling you I gained something out of that. I'm sure of it. Thanks for the advice. And sorry to the op for the hijack.
Your valves were probably nasty. I would do another full can next week. If it was that bad...you have more to clean. And hell yes...you will feel the power gain because of the smoothness of the acceleration.....

Old 05-23-2015, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I could for sure feel it. I already planned on hitting it with another can . I'm pretty sure I was getting some carbon knock. I could see it pull timing on a scanner sometimes, usually in lower rpms. Never past 2200 or so. Yeah now it pulls quicker and smoother. I not running lean ,no vacuum lor exhaust leaks(at least pre cat lol). So I'm pretty sure it was build up.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:49 AM
Banned

Yeah I could for sure feel it. I already planned on hitting it with another can . I'm pretty sure I was getting some carbon knock. I could see it pull timing on a scanner sometimes, usually in lower rpms. Never past 2200 or so. Yeah now it pulls quicker and smoother. I not running lean ,no vacuum lor exhaust leaks(at least pre cat lol). So I'm pretty sure it was build up.
The hotter the engine is when you do it....the better. I would go drive with the A/C on and let it get hotter than normal. Then do it......

Old 05-23-2015, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

And here's something I don't understand. Took it for a spin today and the oil pressure is higher?? Got it hot and it was still higher. It stays on the line at 40 psi at idle now. For quite a while it's always been like 35 or so. I can't understand it. Cruising it's little higher too. What would the combustion chamber cleaner have to do with that??
Old 05-25-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well I did the valley cover and a list of things that were completed so far.

- PCV removed and replaced with LS6 valley cover, had to replace one knock sensor

- intake cleaned with degreaser and a long flexible scrub brush

- fuel rail and injectors removed and injector seals replaced, it was hell getting the rail and injectors out but with a little petroleum jelly they went in much easier.

I'm just waiting to pick up some new intake gaskets at work tomorrow and everything goes back together.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Clean those injectors in an ultrasonic cleaner using pure seafoam as the media. Cleaned my 160,xxx mi injectors to perfection.

Quick Reply: while i am changing valley cover. what can i do to clean intake and injectors?