General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 04-29-2016, 04:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

'99 Trans Am A/C Not Blowing Hard Enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Trans Am A/C Not Blowing Hard Enough

Hey everyone,

I finally got my A/C blowing cold yesterday afternoon on my off day from work.
I replaced everything when it came down to the air conditioning components: condenser, A/C accumulator, discharge line and the line that goes behind the compressor to the condenser (don't remember the name of it but you get the point).

So yesterday I put in the freon (R-134A) and it was finally blowing cold. I noticed when I put the HVAC **** to "A/C" and put it to the "III" and it barely hits my face. "I" and "II" do not work, meaning the A/C does not hit me at all; I only use now 'MAX A/C" and set the **** to "III." it makes a little bit of a difference but not much.

I've only owned the car for a period of two months and I don't know how long the car has went without air conditioning. I was reading earlier today that the blower could not be blowing at it's full capacity; or it could be the blower on it's last legs or there is some debris that is just mainly stuck in the blower.

If it is the blower, where is the location of it and how can it be replaced IF the blower is defective? Also, I was also reading that blower is on the passenger side underneath the dashboard can get clogged with full of debris.

Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations are welcomed. (I live in Las Vegas and it's already in the 100s and we're barely in June; trying to tackle this problem before I burn to death lol)

'99 Trans Am A4

Last edited by LTX_Alex; 06-01-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You might also check your other vents and make sure that the vacuum-powered vent actuators aren't bleeding pressure off to other ports, instead of concentrating the flow to the ones you have selected.

This is a good thread that shows how to remove the blower: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cares-lol.html
Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
You might also check your other vents and make sure that the vacuum-powered vent actuators aren't bleeding pressure off to other ports, instead of concentrating the flow to the ones you have selected.

This is a good thread that shows how to remove the blower: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...cares-lol.html
Where are the other vents located? I changed out the blower and it blows a bit stronger but not enough.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Launching!

Before this happened this vaccum line was missing (causing the air to blow through the default setting, through the foster). When I found the line, it was wrapped in some wires; while I was trying to untangle it from the wires it snapped on me So I what I mainly did to fix the problem I covered it with a vaccum line rubber tube that connects both ends together. After I got my A/C blowing cold it wasn't strong enough. So, I took off the little vaccum tube that connects both ends together and wrapped it with electrical tape instead (thinking it will make a difference) and it didn't really help. If I recall, before this line broke in half, I tried the air conditioning for the first time and it was blowing hot but strong at the same time. At this time I don't if that's the reason or if the vent doors are not opening completely open. Here's the picture of that vacuum line down below.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
Where are the other vents located? I changed out the blower and it blows a bit stronger but not enough.
You have the defrosters, the dash vents, and floor vents.

It could be the blower, but I'd chase down the vacuum thing first. Given that the force was fine before the line break, I'd think that is suspect.

I'd use a piece of paper or a tissue to test for flow at the other vents. If anything is off, I'd then invest in a MightyVac to test the vacuum lines to see where you are leaking/loosing pressure.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Launching!

You have the defrosters, the dash vents, and floor vents.

It could be the blower, but I'd chase down the vacuum thing first. Given that the force was fine before the line break, I'd think that is suspect.

I'd use a piece of paper or a tissue to test for flow at the other vents. If anything is off, I'd then invest in a MightyVac to test the vacuum lines to see where you are leaking/loosing pressure.
Can the compressor be the problem? When I got the air blowing cold the compressor started clattering loud, I don't know how old the compressor is but can it be the problem? Plus, someone told me it's already going bad. If not, how can I locate the blend doors?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Save the manuals!

The compressor would have nothing to do with the force of the air coming out of the vents. That's 100% related to the blower motor and duct work/diverters inside the cabin. (Or, maybe the air intake in the cowl could be clogged with leaves, etc.)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Launching!

The compressor would have nothing to do with the force of the air coming out of the vents. That's 100% related to the blower motor and duct work/diverters inside the cabin. (Or, maybe the air intake in the cowl could be clogged with leaves, etc.)
When I took off the blower (noticed it was a new one when I bought the car) it had a couple of leaves in the fan blades; I took them off and put it back on and still did the same thing, I put on the original blower off a V6 93-97 Firebird and blew better but it still didn't make that much a huge difference. A couple of people told me that it could be the cabin air filter (from what I've read all 4th Gen F-Bodys do not have a cabin air filter). Before I put on the older blower I reached my hand inside the hole and felt leaves at the top and some other debris but nothing felt like it was clogged on. Do you have a A/C vacuum diagram I can use?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Do you have a A/C vacuum diagram I can use?
I would expect there is one on the Factory Service Manuals by Helm, but that's copyrighted - so can't share here. (I'd highly recommend picking them up, regardless.)

You should be able to test all of the lines at the control panel. All should hold a vacuum. With a MightyVac pump, you could even use the tool to actuate the diverters to confirm if you have a vacuum supply to the system, or not.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your compressor could be leaking too. My original compressor eventually started leaking around the casing seal. Wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few days. You would be able to feel fluid on the bottom of the compressor.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Launching!

I would expect there is one on the Factory Service Manuals by Helm, but that's copyrighted - so can't share here. (I'd highly recommend picking them up, regardless.)

You should be able to test all of the lines at the control panel. All should hold a vacuum. With a MightyVac pump, you could even use the tool to actuate the diverters to confirm if you have a vacuum supply to the system, or not.
I'm sorry for the late response. It's been a busy so far but if I do buy the MightVac pump, where do I connect it to to test out lines? It may sound like a dumb question but I want to test it on a vacuum line on where it works the most (I've never done a vacuum test before so, I apologize for the ignorance).
Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 PM

Default Cabin air filter

check your cabin air filter I been having problems with my ac not blowing strong and I had a old smell so I bought a filter changer it and turned on the ac and BAM it felt like a new car ac I was so surprised so once again check cabin air filter mine was dirty and had leafs in it so air was been in brought into car
Old 11-24-2016, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Very possible the evaporator fins are clogged with leaves dirt etc

Quick Reply: '99 Trans Am A/C Not Blowing Hard Enough