General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Issues & Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Issues & Repairs

Hey guys, I normally always find the answers to my question using the search function but I seem to only be confusing myself even more this time in regards to diagnosing a power steering pump leak.

The vehicle is an '02 Camaro with the LS1 and is currently equipped with the OEM power steering cooler and is currently giving me a headache.

The issue I'm experiencing is a rapid lost of power steering fluid upon driving. When I say rapid, if I fill up the reservoir and go for my daily commute to college (( 45 minutes on the interstate )) it'll begin squealing as I pull into the parking lot.

Now the thing that's bothering me is I've inspected the fittings for each hose and can't find a noticeable leak((Rack & pinion for pressure line, fittings for cooler hose, etc.)). I went ahead and replaced the pressure line due to it looking like it took a beating and with high hopes that was my issue. However, it didn't fully cure it... did slow it down a bit though.

My next solution was to have the car running and check to see if the return hose/cooler hose ((from pump to radiator hose)) was leaking. No luck. Figured perhaps having my roommate turn the wheel a few times I'd be able to pin point it that way... still nothing.

As the car sits in the parking deck there's maybe one or two tiny drops under the car that appears to be coming from the line that connects to the radiator hose. However, if you run your thumb along the hose it feels dry. Also, there's a bit of fluid that "spread" a bit along the hood, almost like it hit the serpentine belt and flung a straight line across the hood ((From driver's side to passenger's side)).

I'm about to throw in the towel and go ahead and replace the whole system ((Turn1 power steering pump, standalone cooler from Advance auto, and the cooler lines to reach the new cooler)).

For the life of me I can't figure this simple thing out. Only solution I can think of is the power steering pump is getting too hot and building pressure which in turns pushes fluid out or a gasket for the reservoir has gone out. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance guys/girls!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Those factory coolers were junk. They leak into the coolant system. I bet your radiator has good amount of power steering fluid in it.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

There used to be tons of threads on this. The power steering cooler would always eventually leak, and I honestly thought most have been deleted now that are still on the road.

The cooler was not installed in every model. There are part numbers for just the radiator hose and power steering line without the cooler.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Check the dipstick in your coolant reservoir. If its covered in alien slime, you've found where your P/S fluid is going...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by silplu83
Those factory coolers were junk. They leak into the coolant system. I bet your radiator has good amount of power steering fluid in it.
Oh man, don't tell me that! looks like I'll be doing a full coolant flush just in case!

I've decided to just go ahead and place the order for a TurnOne power steering pump w/pulley and go ahead and purchase a stand alone cooler for the power steering as y'all recommended!

Going through several threads regarding the stand alone cooler, the installation seems pretty straight forward. Although I got one simple question regarding it. Does it particularly matter which hose you plug into the inlets?

For example, should the hose coming from the power steering pump plug into inlet #1 while the steering rack plugs into inlet #2? I presume it doesn't particularly matter as long as it makes a complete circuit but figured I would ask!

I figured I would follow suit with the perma-cool #1003 since it seems to be the most popular among this "mod". I'll go ahead and buy all new hoses instead of adding to the existing line just in case there is a small gash or some dry-rot on the line.

Thanks again everyone for y'alls help!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If your cooler is leaking, I'd strongly suggest not plugging the thing and removing it entirely. All you need is a non-cooler radiator hose, which is very inexpensive.

If you are getting the TurnOne pump, which runs cooler than the stock one, you might just forget a cooler entirely. If you read through the thread above fully, there are some really good arguments for not having a cooler at all.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:42 AM

Alright, thank you guys! Just checked the dipstick for the coolant and it does appear to have power steering fluid in it. Decided to park the car until I get the new pump/hose in the mail. Luckily my roommate has two vehicles haha.

I decided to follow suit with others and just eliminate the cooler all together. As you stated wssix99, several Camaro's didn't even come with the cooler! By swapping over to TurnOne which claims to run cooler than OEM, I should hopefully be perfectly fine.

In regards to the hose running from the rack to cooler, do y'all happen to know the size of this hose? I came across it earlier in the week but can't seem to find it now. Does a 11/32 sound correct? I plan to just replace the existing hose ((Rack to cooler)) to eliminate any possibilities of that going out down the road and run that from the rack to bottom of the pump.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Y'all have been a life saver!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 02LS1-T56
Alright, thank you guys! Just checked the dipstick for the coolant and it does appear to have power steering fluid in it. Decided to park the car until I get the new pump/hose in the mail. Luckily my roommate has two vehicles haha.

I decided to follow suit with others and just eliminate the cooler all together. As you stated wssix99, several Camaro's didn't even come with the cooler! By swapping over to TurnOne which claims to run cooler than OEM, I should hopefully be perfectly fine.

In regards to the hose running from the rack to cooler, do y'all happen to know the size of this hose? I came across it earlier in the week but can't seem to find it now. Does a 11/32 sound correct? I plan to just replace the existing hose ((Rack to cooler)) to eliminate any possibilities of that going out down the road and run that from the rack to bottom of the pump.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Y'all have been a life saver!
Why waste money on a TurnOne pump.....if your pump is just fine....?

Just go to the local parts store and get an upper hose WITHOUT the cooler.....it will be a total full-length rubber upper hose. Flush the hell out of the cooling system.....I suggest using degreaser to flush it along with water.......its gonna be HARD to get all that **** out of the block with just water. Degreaser works great. Just use one that doesn't hurt aluminum. Formula 88 from Home Depot is great stuff.

Then after its all clean....take that old upper hose off and clamp the rubber one on.....fill it up, bleed it.....drive.

I suggest putting an aftermarket cooler on there. Takes 15 minutes and costs like $40.00....well worth it to run cooler fluid temps.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

3/8" power steering hose.

You really don't need any additional 3/8" hose unless you install a new cooler. You can take the existing hose from the rack, shorten it, and attach it to the bottom of the PS reservoir. "The power steering cooling success" sticky thread discusses this in the last third of it (see posts by RPM WS6).

I was unaware of this LS1 factory cooler "issue" until a week ago. And I had no leaks yet. I plugged the cooler lines yesterday. Went for a test run today in my '99 SS and the PS reservoir was up to 190 F deg max by end of the run. When I checked it a couple days ago with the cooler operational, it ran 185 F deg. My driving is not aggressive enough to push this to 200 F or higher....and it only gets above 90 deg outside temp in New England 1-2 weeks per year. Everything RPM WS6 stated in the main thread applies to my car as well. In looking for a new upper radiator hose the most frequent offerings include Gates 22352 and Dayco E71981 (ie GM 10271554). GM has discontinued support for this radiator hose.

All my SS fluid levels are static/fine. But the irony of doing all this is that I noticed some dark oil droplets floating at the top of the coolant reservoir in my daily driver (2002 fwd Lincoln continental with 65K miles). The engine/transaxle is so jammed pack in the engine bay you can't see anything down there. The "uncluttered" engine bay of the Camaro is a breeze to troubleshoot in comparison...lol.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issues & Repairs