General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hatch Sqeaking

Old 06-05-2015, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hatch Sqeaking

My 02 TA has about 110-115k miles on it and just in the last 30 days under the right road conditions (lots of vibrations) the hatch has started squeaking. I figured this was a common condition but I searched here and didn't find anything. Any recommendations on what to look at first? Its loud, high pitched and oscillates like something metal rubbing (vibrating) on something else metal. I was thinking of maybe spraying some WD or Lithium Grease on the hatch locking mechanism that sits inside the trunk area and secures down the hatch.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

my bros 00 does the same thing , drivers side area
Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sail panel speaker could be loose, mine was when I was replacing them. Other than that, I can't think of anything else in the car that could come loose and sound like metal on metal.

Could it be coming from under the car?
Old 06-06-2015, 06:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I thought I had the same and it turned out to be a loose rear seat latch. You might take a little person for a ride in the back seat and have them pinpoint it for you. (That's what I did. The sound went away with someone back there, which helped start to zero in on the problem.)
Old 06-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
I thought I had the same and it turned out to be a loose rear seat latch. You might take a little person for a ride in the back seat and have them pinpoint it for you. (That's what I did. The sound went away with someone back there, which helped start to zero in on the problem.)
Did the same thing, the little person stopped the squeak riding in back, so we checked the seat latches and found one was not fully engaging. Put a big person in back and the seat fully latched, has not squeaked since.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Will def check the rear speakers. Didn't think about that. As far as the back seat issues, well... lol, I don't think that's the problem because the entire back seat is out of the car at the moment along with the shoulder harness for the driver's side passenger seat. I chased down a much louder, more annoying noise coming from the 1/4 panel and had to pull out pretty much the interior interior from that back driver's side of the car.

Had the wife drive while I pinpointed the problem. Was easier because the noise was always there and was loud. This one may not kick in until you've been driving for 10 or 15 mins. Sooo I guess we'll have to go for a longer drive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hatch Sqeaking