General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default high idle

car had been setting for a week after finishing up the battery relocation and new plug wires. I have started it a few times and the only issue I had was surging idle and I found that i didnt tighten the ground down in the engine bay and once I did that it ran fine I could pop the throttle with no issue.

Fast forward to yesterday it was pretty with no rain incoming so I wanted to drive her. Had to use the jumper box to get her to start and the surge was back no loose grounds I thought maybe the battery just needed charging. I backed out of the drive way proceeded out of my neighborhood and when I got to the stop sign I realized the car was idling at around 2 grande I continued to drive it for a bit and it never went away so I turned around to take it back home. It had p0507 code for IAC rpm higher than expected.

Doing a bit of searching I did see where having a bad battery could cause this issue and the battery in my car was from 2010 and it has been charged from pretty low voltage a few times.

so my question is replace the battery which is kind of a given I think, or do I have an IAC issue.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 06-12-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

took the IAC valve out cleaned it and the hole, didnt notice anything out of the ordinary

it started without the jumper this time and was idling just under 1k revved it a few times and while it always returned to the same idle speeds, I noticed a hesitation anytime I popped the throttle. you could hear the engine suck air, but there was a second or so delay before the rpms would spike. Even if you eased up to the 2500-3000 range it still had this hesitation if you popped the throttle.

Could I be experiencing a voltage drop from the battery being in the trunk/battery being done? Maybe I need a better ground in the engine bay? I couldnt see a drop on the voltage gauge on the dash (aftermarket gauges) and I couldnt hook up a multimeter to it since I was solo.

strange I didnt experience this when I was testing the car immediately after the battery relocation, but I didnt drive it then either just started it and revved it in the garage while it warmed up and kept turning everything in the car on to see if it ran into any issues.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 AM
TECH Veteran

high rev was related to throttle cable issue and idle set screw

still not sure whats causing my delayed throttle response though

Last edited by blackbyrd; 06-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:48 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Might be time to get it on a dyno with a wideband AFR to see what is going on.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

yeah it needs to be finished, I've just been trying to get her in driving shape so I dont waste a trip since the closest dyno shop to me area is over an hour away.

ive debated just getting it on a trailer and hauling it to a tuner shop but I would like to get out a lot of the kinks before I go.

Im gonna do a smoke test on it tonight hopefully and make sure I dont have a vacuum leak.

Quick Reply: high idle