General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window insanity, not normal

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window insanity, not normal

Swapped door panels from a 99 SS to my 99 z28 this evening, both windows worked fine and went up and down every time on both the donor car and my car before the swap. Immediately after the swap, regardless if it was via my original driver side switch or the driver side switch from the donor car (used both to verify) the driver window only works for about a second or less on either direction then halts. The passenger window works fine via the driver side switch and pass side switch. To make it even more strange, if I unplug the driver side switch it's almost as if it resets itself, and allows it to roll up about an inch at a time after I plug it back in each time. So I have to plug in the switch, roll it an inch, unplug it, plug it back in and repeat until the window is up. Yet, if I hold the windown down switch to engage the auto down function it will go all the way down, but then I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to go up (an inch at a time)! Window was FINE before on both cars, any leads you guys!?!? This is both with the car started and just the key on.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is typical stuff. Your motor's thermal cutoff switch is activating. Either:
- Something is binding or out of adjustment to the point where the motor is feeling extra resistance.
- The motor is on its last legs.
- A combination of both.

If you think something is out of whack from the swap, shbox has a great write up on adjusting the door glass.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

try putting your original window switch in the new door panel

Quick Reply: Window insanity, not normal