General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Remove The Air Box in a 93-02 Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Remove The Air Box in a 93-02 Firebird?

Hey Everyone,

From months of gathering information of the reasons why my A/C blows weak I think the ventilation doors are not opening completely. I just plan on replacing my air conditioning air box from a used Camaro or Firebird from the junkyard.

My main question is how do you successfully remove the air box out of an F-Body?

Car: '99 Trans Am A4.

Thank you,
LTX_Alex
Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This is a ton of work, which may not solve your problem.

- Does the A/C blow weak or does the heat and A/C blow weak?
- When you get weak flow, is it only through one sent of vents or are you getting flow out of the floor vents, also?

The blower is the first place to check. It is easy to get to and commonly gets clogged with leaves and other junk that gets sucked in to the intake vent.

The first set of doors is a manual mixer for hot/cold. This is a cable controlled door, which is easily checked by removing the lower IP panel on the passenger side.

The rest of the doors are vacuum controlled. They are generally very reliable and when they fail, they don't block the flow - they divert it through other vents. (This makes it easy to track down and solve issues with them.)

So, if your problem is really just flow and not mis-diversion, or mis-mixing, a new air box assembly won't do anything for you.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This is a ton of work, which may not solve your problem.

- Does the A/C blow weak or does the heat and A/C blow weak?
- When you get weak flow, is it only through one sent of vents or are you getting flow out of the floor vents, also?

The blower is the first place to check. It is easy to get to and commonly gets clogged with leaves and other junk that gets sucked in to the intake vent.

The first set of doors is a manual mixer for hot/cold. This is a cable controlled door, which is easily checked by removing the lower IP panel on the passenger side.

The rest of the doors are vacuum controlled. They are generally very reliable and when they fail, they don't block the flow - they divert it through other vents. (This makes it easy to track down and solve issues with them.)

So, if your problem is really just flow and not mis-diversion, or mis-mixing, a new air box assembly won't do anything for you.
My A/C blows in all settings depending on what I switch it too. The only problem is, is that does not blow hard at all. The heater works the same way. I don't feel any air coming from underneath (lower vents) either. I checked all vacuum lines and nothing appears to be open or ripped or anything.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Remove dash, undue heater hoses and ac lines under hood. Box bolts in from the firewall and can be a huge pain to get to.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by LTX_Alex
My A/C blows in all settings depending on what I switch it too. The only problem is, is that does not blow hard at all. The heater works the same way. I don't feel any air coming from underneath (lower vents) either. I checked all vacuum lines and nothing appears to be open or ripped or anything.
You had a good thread going on this problem that you let fall off the face of the earth. You had some good help and I'd go back there. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rd-enough.html

If you had a bad air box, you should be able to take the cover off the blower and feel a hurricane when you do that.

Quick Reply: How To Remove The Air Box in a 93-02 Firebird?