General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

help with new rack & pinion and lucas stop leak mess!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help with new rack & pinion and lucas stop leak mess!

Hi everyone. My rack is leaking like crazy and I just bought a new one but I had to do an emergency trip and I filled the old one with lucas stop crap as a band aid lol to get me front point a to b. Question is. Would lucas leave any residues inside the ps pump or lines? Do I need to put attention on something before I put the new rack in place? I want to be done with this asap, no leaks or tank overflow, just clean and pure ps fluid. Thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump of the day !
Old 07-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I would expect that the stop leak does what it does by putting residue all over everything.

Given that the car didn't come with residue already in it and we don't see race teams promoting the performance benefits of residue in a car, having said residue is sub-optimal.

However; I wouldn't be concerned about it for a daily driver. If it were a problem we'd see threads all over the place about how the product ruins cars. I would plan to completely flush your P/S system more frequently in the future. As the residue breaks down and dissolves in to the P/S fluid, I would expect it to contaminate more quickly.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not necessarily the 'residue' i would be concerned with, but the seal swellers in the thick Lucas product, and just how they effected the seals in your pump.

That being said, my rack is currently leaking, and in need of replacement as well, and I have used not only the Lucas snot to try and slow it down (until I can afford the rack, alignment, and labor), but also the much more 'aggressive', ester based, seal swellers; ATP-205, and Blue Devil (essentially the SAME product, in a different bottle/label), as well as using the Valvoline Max Life fluid ON TOP OF all of that!!

I have more to lose since the Turn One pump is fairly new (~3 years), but so far at least, the pump, and it's seals (I HOPE!!) seem OK.

In any case, as wssix99 said, just do a few 'turkey baster' reservoir changes after the initial install flush, and you will be fine!

Quick Reply: help with new rack & pinion and lucas stop leak mess!