General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

where to get power window motors for 2001 fbody

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default where to get power window motors for 2001 fbody

ok guys where is the best place to get power window motors for my 2001 WS6, its time to replace them and I only want to do it once...where is everyone getting theirs???
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazon
Old 07-26-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't want to do it again make sure you get the wiring upgrade from 6LE. I run motors from O'reilly because they have a lifetime warranty and I expect to swap them fairly regularly.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Also don't just buy the cheapest ones you can get, BUY the DORMAN ones.

Oh and blackandgold, those "lifetime" warranties typically only cover 1 replacement of each part for free.

I am 3 years and 4 months since I replaced my passenger window motor (which had previously been replaced 2 years prior to that by the previous owner)
Old 07-26-2015, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Napa,oriellys,carquest. All will be similar all are shitty but so are the factory ones. Best thing is that limited lifetime warranty have to find that. Never have a problem with the warranty. But work on cars for a living and spend a bunch at part stores.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards

Oh and blackandgold, those "lifetime" warranties typically only cover 1 replacement of each part for free.

I am 3 years and 4 months since I replaced my passenger window motor (which had previously been replaced 2 years prior to that by the previous owner)
Typically, maybe, but that hasn't been my experience. My 2000 firebird went through 3 passenger side motors in 3 years, bought 1 and replaced it twice under it's "lifetime warranty". I won't say they are good quality, but I never had a problem exchanging them. Once you have the holes drilled it's like 15 minutes to swap one out.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread a while back, I will look for it. There is a newer style motor that has performed better than the original.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Unfortunately, we have re-entered a dark time for replacement motors on our cars...

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
A few years back, a manufacturer popped up and started making a much improved NEW design of the window motor. We have not seen any horror stories of these failing but they seem to have disappeared from the market.

Originally, they were marketed under the Duralast brand. Then they were picked up by Dorman and underwent a much wider distribution. However, in the last year it looks like Dorman dumped the new design and went back to the old design, made in China. (with new content)

The jury is still out on if these "new" Dorman old design motors are any good, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Until we can find the source of the new design motors, they are probably the best option out there. Buying from somewhere offering a lifetime warranty is probably wise advise here.

Originally Posted by blackandgold
If you don't want to do it again make sure you get the wiring upgrade from 6LE.
These wiring kits are pure snake oil. They may add longevity to a bad and dying motor, but the don't fix anything and they certainly won't give a motor infinite life. Throwing money at this kind of thing while putting a new motor in is a total waste. (People rave at how they "work" wonderfully - but they just put in a new motor at the same time!)

This thread has some more information on the mythology around these kits and some pictures of the latest Dorman motor option:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html
Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wssix99

These wiring kits are pure snake oil. They may add longevity to a bad and dying motor, but the don't fix anything and they certainly won't give a motor infinite life. Throwing money at this kind of thing while putting a new motor in is a total waste. (People rave at how they "work" wonderfully - but they just put in a new motor at the same time!)

This thread has some more information on the mythology around these kits and some pictures of the latest Dorman motor option:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...hs-truths.html
I remember seeing a video where some guy was trying to demonstrate how much that wiring kit helped his motor and his before video had the door panel in place and the after had the panel off and i'm like, "yup that looks like the normal speed difference I see between having the panel on and off" and that was enough to disprove the wiring to me.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've read the myths thread, but the thing is, a voltage drop can damage a motor. It will cause the crappy resistor to heat up more. Granted I never actually looked at the threshold of our window motors, maybe even with the voltage drop they can see everything is still within spec.

Electric Motors and Voltage drop

FWIW: I've never installed one of the new wiring kits and prefer to just warranty mine out as they fail. But if the drop in voltage in our cars is below the required spec for the motor it will cause an increase in heat which will damage resistors in the motor.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Granted I never actually looked at the threshold of our window motors
That's just the thing. There is no significant voltage drop!

It's less than 1/2 volt of drop from the battery to the motors and they see more than 12V at all times. So, that's a nominal/normal voltage.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's just the thing. There is no significant voltage drop!

It's less than 1/2 volt of drop from the battery to the motors and they see more than 12V at all times. So, that's a nominal/normal voltage.
And you've verified and recorded this? Because if someone displayed that tidbit of info it would help to dispel the rumor completely.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM
Save the manuals!

And you've verified and recorded this? Because if someone displayed that tidbit of info it would help to dispel the rumor completely.
Yes. All it takes is a $5 voltmeter to check. So far, I am the only one I've seen on this site who has measured the voltage at the motor connector. We have displayed this info and its why it's the sticky I linked to above.

The majority of the people rolling in the aisles over the wiring kit miracle are too lazy to even check for the mythical problem they are trying to "solve." It's a lot easier (I guess.) to replace the motor, plunk down another $100 for the wiring kit, stare at the heavens, raise ones arms, scream "Halleluiah," and claim that they have been saved.

The new motor design, which is now MIA, was the elegant solution to the problem. We are just (unfortunately) very short on information as to who the real manufacturer was/is. (we know the last two companies who marketed it) Hopefully another marketer/retailer will pick it back up again soon.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read through both threads and didn't see the actual voltage reading and what the spec is for the motor in either...

I'm not going to sit here and blindly make claims because frankly I don't know what those measurements are myself.

TLDR: Yes a voltage drop can damage an electric motor. No I do not know if the drop on our cars is outside the motors spec.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Save the manuals!

I read through both threads and didn't see the actual voltage reading and what the spec is for the motor in either...
It's in other threads. If anyone cares, they can search or go measure for themselves.

I'm not going to sit here and blindly make claims because frankly I don't know what those measurements are myself.
But, you did blindly make a claim when you said that if the OP purchased a wiring kit then they would never need to change their motor again.

That is the kind of thing we need to be careful in doing - especially on a site devoted to Tech discussion. The manufacturer of those kits doesn't even make such claims. (We also have people here calling them a "fix" and the manufacturers don't say that, either.)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's in other threads. If anyone cares, they can search or go measure for themselves.

But, you did blindly make a claim when you said that if the OP purchased a wiring kit then they would never need to change their motor again.

That is the kind of thing we need to be careful in doing - especially on a site devoted to Tech discussion. The manufacturer of those kits doesn't even make such claims. (We also have people here calling them a "fix" and the manufacturers don't say that, either.)
That's fair. Man I need to stop ls1teching from work.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Advance Auto has remanufactured window motors for $55 with a lifetime warrenty as long as you have the car.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Most of the remans from parts stores have a lifetime warranty. I replaced my driver side with a Cardone unit from O'Reilly's about 8-9 years ago. Still working great. Factory passenger side is still limping along ...
Old 07-31-2015, 06:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

if someone gives me the info i need i can search for the good motors and see what i can find .
Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
if someone gives me the info i need i can search for the good motors and see what i can find .
Here's all that what we know:

- The new design and old design share the same part numbers from from the companies that are marketing them.

- The new design, which is proving illusive, looks like this:

Quick Reply: where to get power window motors for 2001 fbody