General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please HELP! Car won't start after HVAC delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Please HELP! Car won't start after HVAC delete

So I decided to remove the heather and the entire HVAC ducting since I don't use it. I removed the dash and all the wires connected to everything that was being removed. I made my own plate and covered the area up, and then started to put everything back in place. But now.....the car won't start?? It gets power when I turn the ignition, but won't crank over.

Is there a connector that I didn't plug in? Also, I notice my dome light doesn't go on when I open my door, and before it did.

When I removed the heater hoses from inside the engine compartment, a little coolant spilled down the backside of the motor, could it of gone on the starter and messed it up?

Sorry for the long story, just need some input and advice what to look at. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

I've checked all fuses and are good. The starter connections are dry and I didn't really wet the starter. I can hear the fuel pump prime when turn on ignition. Also added jumper cables to see if it needed extra juice, but still won't crank over.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Double check the BCM connections.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shifter in park?
Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Double check the BCM connections.
Please tell me that's not attached on the HVAC unit, if so I might of thrown it away with the pile of crap. FAWWK!!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mentioned the BCM since the interior courtesy lamps aren't coming on. Both of your problems point to it; they're both functions of the BCM. Sounds like you have a ground issue there. The BCM provides the ground for the under hood starter relay. That's the first thing that I would check. If you are fairly savvy with electrical, then break out the meter and find where the BCM ground hits the relay and have someone try to crank it while you check for that ground (relay removed). The positive battery voltage comes from the ignition switch. If they're both good then you should hear it click.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Please tell me that's not attached on the HVAC unit, if so I might of thrown it away with the pile of crap. FAWWK!!
I'm sure you didn't thrown away anything that you had to disconnect electrical connectors to. It's a black box at the passenger side kick panel. Do a search on it.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

I think I did accidentally threw it away with the pile of parts I had. I have a couple extra plug-in connectors that seem to be the ones that plug into the BCM, at least from what pictures show.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I think I did accidentally threw it away with the pile of parts I had. I have a couple extra plug-in connectors that seem to be the ones that plug into the BCM, at least from what pictures show.
Uh oh. That sucks. Can you get your hands on it ... or is it in the landfill by now? If not, you're going to have to get another one and probably do the VATS bypass or change the ignition switch, because the odds that the key resistance matching what the replacement BCM is looking for is slim.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Correction on changing the ignition switch. It's the key's resistance that won't match.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Is there still a black box under the dash?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

What an idiot move on my part. I tossed it Monday night and the dump truck came Tuesday, so it's deep in the land fill now lol.

I'll search for a used BCM locally. I've bypass vats before so I'll get my key code number at the dealership to find what ohms.

No that "Integrated Body Control Module" black box that I see on pictures isn't there. So I guess I found my problem
Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah ... don't kick yourself. I actually thought that I had a BCM issue a few years ago so I bought a used one. I matched the resistance that the BCM wanted and just left that one in. All that to say is I have one with resistors that match if you want it.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Ah ... don't kick yourself. I actually thought that I had a BCM issue a few years ago so I bought a used one. I matched the resistance that the BCM wanted and just left that one in. All that to say is I have one with resistors that match if you want it.
I'm going to check locally and see if I can grab one real quick, if I can't find one then I'll take you up on the offer.

So when I get a different BCM I just need to get the ohms (code number) that's on my current key right?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just use an ohmmeter to get the resistance on your key. Maybe you can buy another BCM that will match your key's resistance. Either that or you get a new key with the replacement BCM. You may have to go the vats bypass route. Then you'll have to figure out the right resistance to match the BCM,
Old 08-01-2015, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Just use an ohmmeter to get the resistance on your key. Maybe you can buy another BCM that will match your key's resistance. Either that or you get a new key with the replacement BCM. You may have to go the vats bypass route. Then you'll have to figure out the right resistance to match the BCM,
Ok, so if I pick up a used BCM I have to match the resistance the BCM has? Basically my current key is useless and have to match the ohms/resistance the used BCM has? How do I go about finding the resistance for the used BCM?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not fun but what I had to do was get the list of all the resistances that are used and then do the bypass. I just used a potentiometer and dialed in those resistances (one at a time) until I no longer had the security light on on my dash and it cranked. It's kind of a pain and I also seem to recall that I had to reset the battery everytime that I changed the resistance to try again.

Last edited by TA_Freak; 08-01-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 PM
11 Second Club

Well I must be a little lucky....I pulled a BCM from a '00 V6 model at the wrecking yard for $20. I plugged it in my car and BAM!!! the car started

The only thing is my dome light still won't go on. My radio, power window/locks work like a charm. I re-programmed my key fob and that now works. I'm just going over a couple more things to make sure it's back to normal. My alarm seems to be more sensitive?? But hey...I'm happy it's alive again lol.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad you figured it out Tino. I almost threw mine out too
Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Glad you figured it out Tino. I almost threw mine out too
Thanks Ryan. It's was a stupid little mistake I made.

That module is small and black which blended in with the hvac crap I pulled out. I was just in such a rush that I grabbed the entire pile and threw it all in the trash. If I missed garbage day, I would of been fine, but it was too late lol!

Quick Reply: Please HELP! Car won't start after HVAC delete