General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Quick question for the A/C guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick question for the A/C guys

Getting ready to swap out my A/C condensor and it arrived today. I noticed the new Ac Delco condensor is not plugged. Is this going to be a problem? Everything I have read says to keep everything plugged up to avoid moisture.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

yes it should have came plugged. when working on any ac system commercial, residential, car ac it should always be pinched off and brazed closed or plugged. basically it will acquire moisture and contaminents from the air. Im Not to familiar with car ac but as long as u can pull a very good vacuum below 500 microns u will be ok.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slickgoat05
yes it should have came plugged. when working on any ac system commercial, residential, car ac it should always be pinched off and brazed closed or plugged. basically it will acquire moisture and contaminents from the air. Im Not to familiar with car ac but as long as u can pull a very good vacuum below 500 microns u will be ok.
This OP. If the system was open for a long time (especially the drier/accumulator) I'd return it. The compressor should be fine if you do a good evacuation/vacuum of the system, but again that depends on how long it was open. Was it pre-serviced with PAG?
Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hrcslam
This OP. If the system was open for a long time (especially the drier/accumulator) I'd return it. The compressor should be fine if you do a good evacuation/vacuum of the system, but again that depends on how long it was open. Was it pre-serviced with PAG?
Im not sure if it was pre serviced. Think I'm just gonna return it and check the dealership for one. Also does anyone know if the Murray brand from orielys or the Autozone equivalent are any good?
Old 08-15-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick question for the A/C guys

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
Im not sure if it was pre serviced. Think I'm just gonna return it and check the dealership for one. Also does anyone know if the Murray brand from orielys or the Autozone equivalent are any good?
I have a Murray. It works ok, but I don't expect more than a year or two out of them. $190 for the Murray is nice compared to the $450 for the Delco. But the Delco should last better than a decade vs the year or two I typically get from a Murray.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly, id run it. I realize thats not the most correct way but I highly doubt it would be an issue. Accumulators or driers are sealed in bags when you buy them, most other ac items are not in my experience.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^ Agree in the case of a condenser. I'd expect an accumulator or compressor to be plugged.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

car ac, residential and commcerical any type of filter drier accumulator condenser compressor txv etc...should all come with plugs in them..no exceptions.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

install it and pt a vacuum on it for a few hours
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
Getting ready to swap out my A/C condensor and it arrived today. I noticed the new Ac Delco condensor is not plugged. Is this going to be a problem? Everything I have read says to keep everything plugged up to avoid moisture.
where did you buy it from?
how do you know some idiot didn't repaint a used one and sell it as new, or return it to a store and the store doesn't know any better?

having ac parts like the condenser or accumlator plugged before you get them is not critical. as long as the part is packaged decently in a box and is clean and dry that's what matters. when you pull vacuum on the ac system with the new parts installed that is what will take care of any moisture and when you'll find out if the parts are good when the system holds a deep vacuum. if your new condenser has any corrosion on it, or chipping paint near the tube ends, looks like it's been handled or has or any oil or other kind of stuff inside the tube then consider returning it as defective/damaged.

Quick Reply: Quick question for the A/C guys