General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car dies/won't start in less than 24 hr time period.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car dies/won't start in less than 24 hr time period.

HELP Here is what I'm working with: 00 Z28 52k w/ compustar alarm, XS Power D3400 Battery, Mechman 240 amp alternator.

The issue: Car will not start after sitting for not even a whole day. With a fully charged battery that was hooked up to a CTEK trickle charger. Turn the key all you here are multiple clicks.

What I have tried: Well 1st off I wanted to go through a process of elimination and rule out everything that I could. Tested battery- good. Tested alternator- good. Resting voltage of battery approx. 12.9 when running 14.5. Was thinking there is a parasitic draw ran test and metered at 100ma. Not to high but something to look into. Pulled fuses and found that pulling the ignition fuse dropped to way below the standard 50ma. Ok, so the alarm is obviously ran through the ignition since it has remote start. Did some research on Compustar alarms with the Drone system and found out that they will suck some power. However, not enough to kill the battery unless the car is sitting for 3-4 days. Next day: Fully charged the battery pulled fuses for line lock, disconnected switch for the fan, and removed power robbing alarm and let car set for 1 day. Checked resting voltage of battery was at 12.4. Not bad, that should be more than enough to start the car. Went to turn the key and all I hear is multiple fast paced clicking noises. No attempt to turn over. Now, I'm leaning more towards a starter issue now. With a resting voltage of 12.3 (after sitting for 24 hours) that should be more than enough to start the car for sure. Matter of fact if I hook up the jump pack she hesitates but then will start. Not sure what to check now only thing I can think is the starter. So any ideas
Old 08-17-2015, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah starters are relatively cheap and easy to swap so I'd just try that. Make sure you get the one with the two long bolts so you don't end up damaging your engine block. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just do a search on this site about starters.
I just did it a couple months ago. After grinding a tab a little for clearance, it slid right in.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

People having this issue also commonly have problems with their battery cables. You may want to also check your voltage at the starter.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Well starter will be getting swapped out then and I will also check the voltage at the starter. I have some extra 4 gauge car audio cable around can I use that to change out the crappy power wire to the starter? The big 3 has already been done in 1/0 gauge. So didn't know if changing the starter power wire to the battery would help at all.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:58 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sicLS1
So didn't know if changing the starter power wire to the battery would help at all.
If the wire is an issue, it's usually due to corrosion or looseness. There's nothing wrong with the size of the original wire.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Launching!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LQ4-9-CHEVY-CORVETTE-CAMARO-FIREBIRD-MINI-STARTER-5-7L-6492-/161183606191?hash=item25874aa5af&vxp=mtr
Just want to be sure that this is the correct starter. Also seems like it comes with the extra long bolt. So no worries there.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. That one looks good. Just compare the two when you pull the old one. You'll re use the stock starter heat shield also, fyi.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. I will get this ordered and see if it fixes the issue. I'll let you guys know when its done.

Quick Reply: Car dies/won't start in less than 24 hr time period.